British AA tanks

Anybody got any info/pictures on British AA tanks? I'm pretty sure their was a Cromwell variant with twin 20mm guns in an enclosed turret but all I can find is a picture of a Crusader with a Bofors unceremoniously glued on top. I know very few if any saw action ("what enemy aircraft?"), but has anyone got any info? And no, I'm not suggesting they should be in CMBO, nor am I going to add to the pile of pleas for M16s/M17s etc. Be nice though (oops).

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Monty's Double:

Anybody got any info/pictures on British AA tanks? I'm pretty sure their was a Cromwell variant with twin 20mm guns in an enclosed turret but all I can find is a picture of a Crusader with a Bofors unceremoniously glued on top. I know very few if any saw action ("what enemy aircraft?"), but has anyone got any info? And no, I'm not suggesting they should be in CMBO, nor am I going to add to the pile of pleas for M16s/M17s etc. Be nice though (oops).<hr></blockquote>

One of the best AA tanks of the War was the Canadian Skink, but it was never produced in numbers and never made it to Europe, mostly because ther ewas no Luftwaffe to shoot at.

While there still was a Luftwaffe the British converted some worthless MK VI light tanks to AA tanks by adding a turret of 4 7.92mm BESA machineguns to a MK VI A. Each tank Regiment got 4 of these excellent machines, and while they were attached to the HQ, they were usuually used to cover supply routes.and bridges. They were generally withdrawn by late 1943 when the air threat died down (although some units kept them in Italy) but before them they were effective against low flying aircraft, although the .50 or 20mm would have been more effective against dive bombers.

Because of the limitations of the AA MkII, a few Crusaders got 20mm cannons to fill that gap and were issued in the Med. There was also a quad Bren mount that was attached to carriers (and could be bread boarded onto trucks and tracks), useful mostly as a deterent and for morale than as a true AA mount (the quad BESA had a better ROF). When the M3 Light Tank and the M3 and M4 Mediums came into use many came with the US M2HB, which replaced the ligher deterrent ("morale") mobile AA weapons to some extent, since the .50 bullet was beter than a rifle bullet for shooting at airplanes.

In addition, the British made extensive use of 20mm and 40mm AA weapons, and 95mm ADA towed.

Thanks Slappy, can't sleep huh? Actually I found the reference with the help of a resident grog (not the one who actually owns his own Stuart, surprisingly enough). The vehicle I was looking for was a Crusader III with a twin 20mm turret, designated AA MkII. I've got a pic but no other details (numbers, service details etc), so if anyone has any info I'd still appreciate it.

Cheers

At least one documented incident of a Crusader AA tank in use in ground combat was during the St. Lambert battle of the SAR. They shot up a sizeable number of Germans trying to escape through a wooded patch, and forced the rest to surrender. I am sure there must be more, but that is the one I can come with off the top of my head.