1st Special Service Force?

Several weeks ago I was out doing grocery shopping in my home town of Halifax, Nova Scotia. When I left the store to walk back to my apartment, I was drawn to a military service being held in a park across the street.

You can imagine my suprise as a Canuck and CM player when I discovered the service was made up of a large contingent of US military, both young and very, very old. I'm not a military buff but I believe I read somewhere (Band of Brothers?) that pants tucked into high cut boots are a trademark unique to paratroopers. So I wondered:Why were US special forces holding a memorial service in Canada?

As my frozen goods melted into soggy puddles, I stood in the hot sun to take it all in. IIRC It was the reunion of a group knicknamed the Devils Brigade. I believe these were the surviving members of the '1st Special Service Force'. As the FSSF was multi-national in nature, it was logical that this is why a reunion was being held in Canada. It was a very touching moment for me, all the more so because it came so unexpectedly. Serendipity, I guess.

After that long winded introduction I have a few questions regarding special forces in CM and WW II:

-Canadian Paratroopers as a unique unit type don't appear to be included in CM? Are British Para's roughtly equivilant and so are used instead?

-Do elite type units (Paratroopers, glider units etc.) have higher endurance and morale break points than normal infantry?

-Does any one know a good source of the history of the FSSF or can confirm my guess of the unit identity of the reunion I saw?

Thanks!

--Dave

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Galatine ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonS:

Any indication on my part that the great one...aka Madmatt, could or WOULD ever make a mistake is my fault alone and I will bear the burdon of that for all time.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

QUICK! Get out the kodak - the madbaldone just made a mistake and admitted it. This moment must be preserved for posterity - something we can reminisce with to our grandchildren

:D:D:D

p.s. ignore the part below about Madmatt editing this post, thats also MY mistake ;)

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Madmatt ]