Books - tank tactics?

I have been recommended Infantry Attacks by Rommel re infantry tactics. Can anyone recommend something on tank tactics (german). I am aware of Panzer Leader and Achtung Panzer but AFAIK the first is biography of Guderian and the latter is on the development of panzergruppe etc. as oppsed to actual tactical usage.

Off the top of my head, Thomas L. Jentz's two-volume set Panzertruppen: The Complete Guide to the Creation & Combat Employment of Germany's Tank Force, covering 1939-42 and 1943-45 (Vols. 1 & 2) has a lot of excerpts from after action reports and field tactical briefings and training stuff. He's also got a book on Tiger tactics, which I don't have, and one on tactics in the early part of the war in North Africa, which I do have (and it's pretty good for German and British stuff in the Western Desert).

I'm sure there are others, but I don't have my resources with me at the moment....

The Amry's FM 17-12 is unclassified and you can probably find a copy on the net, maybe even a digital copy of the whole thing.

It's the standard for basic platoon tactics. The bottomline is that tanking is tanking. As far as CM is concerned (what it can simulate) basic tank tactics are all you really need. This is not a slam on CM since it is not primarily a tank simulator. Until CM allows you to control turrets and set more specific orders simple tactics seem to work best.

Yeah the 17-12 as it is usually called is actually the 17-12-1 and it has a second manual the 17-12-2 that would not do you much good as far as CM is concerned. The 17-12-1 is a little bigger than a novel in size and the 17-12-2 is more like a graphic novel in size, so don't be fooled.

I second the "Panzertaktik: German small unit armor tactics" by Wolfgang Schneider. Great text, Great photos, excellent collector book, it’s a real pleasure to leaf through this book. However it is rather expensive for the casual tactician wink.gif

You might try THE NAFZIGER COLLECTION. It has reprinted several field WWII field manuals that would probably be of interest to you. Check out:

http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/books.html

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>AMERICAN TANK COMPANY TACTICS (FM 17-32);

SOVIET ARMORED TACTICS IN WORLD WAR WWII;

GERMAN PANZER TACTICS IN WORLD WAR II.

Each of these reprints is about $20.00.