getting the croc to flame

There I was, 8 platoons of german infantry hiding in the woods well dosed with 155mm VT. Send in the flame tank I yelled. Slowly it moved in----it stops----it sprays everything in sight with its----MG! Over and over I try to get it to use its flamethrower. My Wasps always work but not this sherman croc! Only thing I can see different is I had one crewman out of action in the tank. Any suggestions

I have noticed the same thing with the Churchill Crocodile. Once you take one casualty, the AI assumes it's the guy running the flamethrower. In the scenario I was playing, the Croc was merrily setting an entire town alight until it took a crew casualty (I prefer unbuttoning my AFV's). After that, plenty of 75mm and MG shots, but no flame.

Originally posted by Vauban:

getting the croc to flame

Insult him on the Forum and then duck. tongue.gif

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

"I do what I likes, and I likes what I do."--Darrell Hammond (portraying Bill Clinton), SNL

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Perhaps those flame tanks and the flames they spew out are SO valuable we should consider keeping them buttoned up ALL the time. That seems like the only obvious solution.

smile.gif

-tom w

Well, I would agree, but I have a deathly aversion to AT teams lurking unseen. I have noticed that unbuttoned tanks tend to operate better and survive longer.

Hell, if it works for the Israeli Defence Force, who am I to argue?

------------------

"I have slipped the

surly bonds of earth...."

My platoon of unbuttoned PzIVs was doing a great job. In a tight echelon formation, with woods on the uncovered flank, they were giving the Brits the tea party of their life.

They were unbottoned, of course, as per the IDF regulations. I wasnt arguing either. What could go wrong? I was 800 meters away from the enemy and they were in complete disarray.

Then I heard the buzz of a P47 or Tempest or whatever. One bomb. 1 Pz IV knocked out, all others shocked with herr kommandant dead. Two Shermans and a Wolverine pops up, before mine can react for the whole of 60 secs, I have a platoon of burning PzIVs. Brits cut up my infantry assault which began the turn before, and move onto Caen.

Originally posted by JunoReactor:

My platoon of unbuttoned PzIVs was doing a great job. In a tight echelon formation, with woods on the uncovered flank, they were giving the Brits the tea party of their life.

They were unbottoned, of course, as per the IDF regulations. I wasnt arguing either. What could go wrong? I was 800 meters away from the enemy and they were in complete disarray.

Then I heard the buzz of a P47 or Tempest or whatever. One bomb. 1 Pz IV knocked out, all others shocked with herr kommandant dead. Two Shermans and a Wolverine pops up, before mine can react for the whole of 60 secs, I have a platoon of burning PzIVs. Brits cut up my infantry assault which began the turn before, and move onto Caen.

Ouchies! frown.gif

Originally posted by Guy w/gun:

If you have, lets say, six tanks and two are unbuttoned, will the other tanks benefit from their increased visibility (via radio transmission)?

Offhand, I would have to say no. The tank commander would have his hands full fighting his vehicle, let alone trying to tell the rest of the Platoon what to do. Secondly, all that radio chatter would cause havoc with arty requests etc.

If there is anyone on the forums with AFV experience, they might be able to shed a bit of light on this subject.

Bart

------------------

"I have slipped the

surly bonds of earth...."

Originally posted by Vauban:

There I was, 8 platoons of german infantry hiding in the woods well dosed with 155mm VT. Send in the flame tank I yelled. Slowly it moved in----it stops----it sprays everything in sight with its----MG! Over and over I try to get it to use its flamethrower. My Wasps always work but not this sherman croc! Only thing I can see different is I had one crewman out of action in the tank. Any suggestions

Should target the Infantry automatically, if you are close enough and the tank can spot them.

Good luck,

GB

Originally posted by Barticus:

Offhand, I would have to say no. The tank commander would have his hands full fighting his vehicle, let alone trying to tell the rest of the Platoon what to do. Secondly, all that radio chatter would cause havoc with arty requests etc.

If there is anyone on the forums with AFV experience, they might be able to shed a bit of light on this subject.

Bart

When I was a tank platoon leader the platoon leader and platoon sergeant had radios with dual net capability (one on the platoon frequency and the other on the company command frequency) while the other tanks had single net capability and were just on the platoon net. The FO was on the company freq. Any tank could talk to the other tanks without "cluttering" up the net however in war you're going to be saying everything over the net anyway, whether it be contact right, action left, troops in the treeline direct front 800m, or whatever.