Testing Lab

Considering how much testing CM seems to require - by both the players and BTS - maybe CM2 should have a testing lab. You could load the map or design it yourself, buy units for either side and place them anywhere, then set up the number of turns to run per battle and the number of battles to run.

Hit Go, and CM would run the calculations on battle after battle. Once all the battles are run, you get a report on how many casualties each unit suffered over all the battles, with some basic statistics calculated for you. Memory permitting, maybe you could also get movies.

I know you can already do this with the scenario designer, but a specialized function would make it more efficient and permit larger scale experiments. Call it a development tool for BTS or a game feature for the players. Either way, it would be nice.

I second the idea for some sort of scenario debug mode where one can:

1) Play both sides.

2) Have the AI play both sides.

3) Switch sides at will.

Very, very handy for testing scenarios.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Originally posted by wwb_99:

I second the idea for some sort of scenario debug mode where one can:

1) Play both sides.

2) Have the AI play both sides.

3) Switch sides at will.

Very, very handy for testing scenarios.

WWB

1) It's called hot seat

2) Yes, useful

3) test with no FOW

But what I think Leon is saying is AI vs. AI, have CM automatically run the battle say 20 times and see how many times each side wins, what is the hardest to kill, easiest to kill, etc. No movie files generated, just the computer doing the calculations and posting the results after x number of battles. If you're striving for a balanced scenario, the results should show between 40% to 60% split on who wins. If probe, perhaps the prober should win 60-80%, if attack, perhaps attacker should win 70-90%, if assault...

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Actually, I was thinking on a smaller scale, but I'm just throwing this idea around. I was thinking more in terms of quantifying the effect of veteran armor vs. green armor. Or figuring out how much artillery of a given size it takes to immobilize or destroy a given AFV. I would also like a sandbox where I can just pull out different units at random and watch them fight, just to get a feel for how things interact.

I was also thinking of how many threads I've seen that require people to resort to setting up and running tests. There was a thread on pillboxes that involved discussion of statistics. And now there's the discussion of infantry assaults on HTs in ver 1.12. I assume there have been many other discussions like this.

[This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited 02-16-2001).]