turret speed

i just looked up the panther tank turret speed.... it takes 18 seconds to traverse 360. and it takes a sherman tank 15 seconds to traverse 360. so this means that the sherman in the game has a fast turret and the panther has a slow one?... i don't get it. 3 more seconds downgrades the the panther turret speed to slow? shouldn't it be medium at least?

This topic has been the subject of maaaaaaaany posts already. Unless you'd like to watch the search engine run for a while, I suggest you accept that the Panther had a fairly large variation in possible turret rotation speeds based on engine rpms, and that, on average, the turret would not make the faster times.

Almost forgot that argument, but from what I remember the main rebuttal was that it would be difficult for the driver to rev up the engine a bit to get max turret rotation. To me this reasoning always seemed weak. Enough to downgrade the speed from 'fast' to 'medium' perhaps, but all the way to slow seems excessive.

I don't have the Panther specs but the King Tiger, which ran a similar system, rotated the turret at 19 seconds at 2000 rpm, which, coincidentally, was the specified speed the engine SHOULD be at while driving along, in any gear.

The Tiger I, on the other hand, did have a slow turret, as did the very first Panther model and the last Pz IV, which had had a similar system to the Sherman but lost it due to shortages of copper.