New CMAK Scenario "Angel of Sicily"

Hello All

Just posted at The Proving Grounds a new CMAK scenario called Angel of Sicily

Overview (Fictional)

As the Allied forces invaded Sicily, a secret British Commando raid took place on the North West end of the island near the town of Custonaci. The British Commando’s, lead by Major Bob Millard were brought through the Gulfo di Bonagia to land on the shores of the Confano Mansion. The mission was to rescue Maria Tito (The Angel of Sicily) from the hands of SS-Stabsscharführer Krockmann who has been interrogating her. Maria knows of vital allied attack plans and must be rescued before the SS get the information.

This is not a typical Combat Mission Scenario. The Victory Objectives are not to take VL and kill enemy troops the main objective is to rescue The Angel of Sicily.

FEEDBACK - Good, Bad or Ugly is always appreciated.

I will also be posting it at my CM site (link below) with my other CMAK Scenarios

Damn I love this addiction!!!!!

Regards...

FredRocker

Hey Dug!!!

Its simple... The Angel (she is a sharpshooter with no ammo) appears as a reinforcment with about 10-15 turns to go in the enemy occupied Mansion (you should have that secure by then or you lose).. You then have to get her back to the water and on assault boats that have shown up and exit her off the map... it plays very much like my Something About Nadia CMBB scenario...

hope that helps!!! There are screenshots and briefing information at my website

Regards

FredRocker

1st) my name is not capitalized. usually my sentences are not either. it isn't really a name, it is a description smile.gif

I downloaded the scenario, read the briefing (allies) and started the scenario to look at the map. this was at 10:30 at night so I didn't have time to start.

Briefing Impressions: The briefing was nicely detailed but lacked "dash". I mean the scenario is intriguing with the "Angel of Sicily" but then you dont really say anything about her. I would like a bit more - opera singer helping out the resistance, caught smuggling a map, etc. And then a bit more to set the stage for the raid itself "the destroyer Westchester sailed from Malta and made its way outside of sight from the coast. The lights of a Meschsagast scout plane passed overhead and everyone held their breath. Luck seemed to be with you as the plane continued on its way, not seeing the blacked out ship in the gathering fog. But the noise of the engines could not be concealed, and the commando's slipped off the side into assault boats to take them silently into the shore. When the coast appeared as a dark specter in the fog, the motors were turned off, paddles were brought out and there was only the sound of the waves lapping against the shore. As you reached land your men slipped into the water and then into the trees that led up the hill, through the fog to the villa. The boats drifted off the coast, they would meet you there again in under an hour. You must have the Angel of Sicily with you, the lives of 10,000 men depended on it."

or something like that.

Parameters: I question even a breeze on a foggy night. Breeze breaks up fog, but on the coast a breeze is not unlikely. So either way.

In the briefing you have "cause all your troops". Which should be "because" of course.

For the map: I like it in general. Anything seems to look good in fog, but this looks quite nice. I especially like the dock area with the pavement. Most of the stuff looks just "bad" enough to be realistic but planned enough to be built by people.

I also like the fords at the shore for troops to wade to land. A nice touch I shall have to steal.

I really like having all of the labels - it helps a lot with the feel.

by the pond is a label for "Pump house" but there is nothing there. Could be a building on a slope which makes them not show up.

I would think that there should be some sort of pavillion or something by the pond for the people to enjoy.

I would also expect there to be a pond in the garden - italian formal gardens typically had water features. And trees in the garden doesn't make much sense to me given that the area is forested. I would think lush grass (perhaps soft ground) or fancy hedge formations. That said the trees look nice, it just seems odd to have a tree garden in a forest.

The two roads seem a bit too even for me. From the water the one on the left seems fine as it goes around the pond. I would make the one on the right curve back and forth a bit more as it goes up the hill. Altogether the two roads seem to frame the map a bit too perfectly to seem realistic.

The mansion is nice, I think the church works well like that. And the servant's quarters is a good touch.

All in all a nice map. Scattered details to add interest and it all goes together and makes sense. It feels like a fancy estate.

hopefully I will actually be able to play it soon smile.gif

Hey dugfromtheearth

Thanx for the feedback.. I agree with you about the Briefings they do need more "dash"!!! I being a technical type do not have a flair for writing but I will work on it.

The map is based upon Camusett State Park on Long Island. It is actually a 1920's estate built by Marhsall Fields. I grew up right there and know that park like the back of my hand. I like you idea about the garden (the real garden has apple trees there). As far as breeze and fog. I grew up on Long Island sound.. and hell there is always lots of Fog and yes it can be breezy. I think inland the Fog is less dense and has a tendency to break apart. But thick fog with a breeze is really spooky especially at night..

After I get some more feedback at The Proving Grounds I will consider some of your terrain suggestions.

Thank you again for your input.

Regards and Happy Holidays

-FredRocker