A second call to arms for all Canucks!

Thanks, Michael. Maybe I'll continue it here. wink.gif As I've now dishonoured poor Worthington quite enough for one karmic retribution, I'll move on to another little fiasco. This one just plain mystifies me, so maybe someone with more info or more insight can throw some light on what actually happened here. I'll let Lt. Col. English tell the story:

(A map of the action can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/babrakhan2001/windsor.jpg )

Operation "Windsor," the attack across open ground upon Carpiquet on 4 July involved Brigadier General Ken Blackader's 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade, augmented by the Royal Winnipeg Rifles and supported by the 10th Armoured Regiment (The Fort Garry Horse). Roughly 760 divisional and AGRA guns from one heavy, eight medium, and twelve field regiments provided artillery support. The 16-inch guns of HMS Rodney and a monitor, Roberts assisted with the preparatory bombardment of the objective area. Additional maneuver support provided included the heavy (4.2-inch) mortars and Vickers medium machine guns of the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (M.G.) and three squadrons of "special armour" (flail tanks...flame-throwing crocodiles...and AVRE...). Two squadrons of tank-busting Typhoon fighter-bombers were also on call for the brigade.

As elaborated in a 17-page operation order, the first phase of "Windsor" called for the concomitant capture of the village of Carpiquet and the hangars north and south of the airfield. This was to be accomplished by the North Shore Regiment on the left and the Chaudières on the right, each supported by a squadron of tanks reinforced by "specials," attacking the village from south of Villeneuve, while the Winnipegs simultaneously struck out for the south hangars from Marcelet. The Winnipeg attack was to be supported by the third tank squadron. A diversionary sally north to Vieux Cairon was also to be mounted from Villeneuve 15 minutes later by a squadron of the Sherbrooke Fusiliers. In phase two the Queen's Own Rifles were to pass through the secured village and seize the control tower and buildings at the east end of the airfield. In the event, the attack commenced at 0500 hours behind a creeping barrage fired by six field and two medium regiments.

We now know that the 12th SS divined 8th Brigade intentions from monitoring "tank voice radio traffic" and proceeded to heavily mortar and shell Canadian attack positions from their time of occupaion on 3 July. Minutes after the opening of the covering barrage on 4 July, the Germans dropped a counterbarrage just behind it, which not only caused substantial casualties but gave the impression that Canadian shells were falling short. The tanks and "specials" rolled on relentlessly toward Carpiquet village nonetheless, the AVRE and flame-throwers reducing strong points and German forward outposts. Armoured mobility and effectiveness were reduced by rubble in the built-up area, however, and a fierce house to house infantry struggle ensued. The intense artillery support program had obviously not destroyed the essential fabric of a well-camouflaged and dug-in defense orchestrated by barely 50 men from 25 Panzergrenadier Regiment...

My emphasis at the end. To complete the story, the village was taken at the cost of 377 casualties including 117 dead. The Royal Winnipegs were cut down on the open airfield after running into 17 tanks and SPs dug in around the field -- the hangars were not taken. Could someone please enlighten me as to what happened here? wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Forever Babra (edited 02-22-2001).]

I posted a scenario on my site regarding this battle; I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Maybe it would provide you some answers?

If you've read Granatstein's "The Generals" you'll see the brilliant quote, taken from an old "army saw" that goes

If the words "f**k" and "frontal" were removed from the vocabulary, the Canadian Army would be left both speechless, and unable to attack.

Having read about Walcheren Causeway, Operation Spring, and now Windsor, (and listening to current Canadian soldiers on a regular basis use the "F" word in the same manner as a comma) I kind of have to agree...

Originally posted by Forever Babra:

For you Southern Ontario types, PBS Buffalo will be airing "A War of Their Own", a documentary on the 1st and 5th Cdn Divisions in Italy. Looks to be good. Airs March 14th.

Excellent. Looks like I'm gonna have to go out and buy myself some blank tapes.

------------------

If the words "f**k" and "frontal" were removed from the vocabulary, the Canadian Army would be left both speechless, and unable to attack...

-Michael Dorosh

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM