CMBB climatic conditions

Tero

I know, they are in.

The question is: will the lighter summer nights of the North (midnight sun) be modelled realistically and thus be different from the darker summer nights of the South ?

By the same token: will the Northern winter days be shorter (dawn and dusk periods longer) than they are in the South ?

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: tero ]</p>

Now we're becoming too big nitpickers (spelling bad), aren't we? :D

Average battle is 30 minutes and AFAIK if it begins in the dawn, whole battle will be in the dawn. Don't you think it would be a little too demanding that in the 1st minute of the battle is darker than in 28th? Or maybe we could also try to persuade BTS that they could somehow put up with an equation which will realistically take in effect bouncing of light from vehicles (so my panther which has sun behind his back, will kill your t34, who is looking toward the sun and is therefore more blinded. And also my position is better, because the sun reflects from your glacis and I can spot you earlier! And of course, since every minute sun changes position, BTS should take that in consideration, too smile.gifsmile.gif )

But seriously, don't we all want CMBB to be finished in year 2002?

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Porajkl ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Porajkl:

Now we're a becoming too big nitpickers (spelling bad), aren't we? :D

Average battle is 30 minutes and AFAIK if it begins in the dawn, whole battle will be in the dawn. Don't you think it would be a little too demanding that in the 1st minute of the battle is darker than in 28th? Or maybe we could also try to persuade BTS that they could somehow put up with an equation which will realistically take in effect bouncing of light from vehicles (so my panther which has sun behind his back, will kill your t34, who is looking toard the sun and is therefore more blinded. And also my position is better, because the sun reflects from your glacis and I can spot you earlier! And of course, since every minute sun changes position, BTS should take that in consideration smile.gifsmile.gif )

But seriously, don't we all want CMBB to be finished in year 2002?

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Porajkl ]<hr></blockquote>

I know, I know. :D

But when you assign random climatic values for a winter and summer battles in the North and you draw good/decent visibility dawn at 06.30 for the winter days or pitch black for the summer nights then some of the nuances of the climatic conditions will not just feel right.

We both know that you can read the news paper outside at 02.00 (or later) hrs in the night in the summer and that you can not read a news paper outside at 15.00 (or earlier) hrs in the winter.

Then again the presence or absence of snow affects visibility in the dark..... tongue.gif

Just a though...... :D

As I understand your suggestion, you are saying that the random distribution of dawn/day/dusk/night should be skewed one direction or another depending on latitude.

So we do not need an additional category for 'northern summer night' (I assume the new dawn or dusk settings would suffice to simulate this), but rather just an adjustment of random values to account for the fact that, in June at 60 degrees north latitude, you have something like 14 hours of "day", 3 hours each of dawn and dusk, and only 4 hours of real night?? The opposite, of course, would be true in the winter.

Makes sense to me. Seems like it would be pretty easy to code as well as it would not require any new settings, just a slight adjustment of the equation that comes up with random settings.

This is also a worthwhile note for scenario designers, especially for operations - I doubt there were many night battles in the North in June!!

Incidentally, I wonder what the difference is between the new dawn and dusk settings. Or did I misread, and there is just one setting for dawn/dusk? except for direction of the light (as mentioned above), I see little difference between the two.

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

As I understand your suggestion, you are saying that the random distribution of dawn/day/dusk/night should be skewed one direction or another depending on latitude.

In essense, yes.

So we do not need an additional category for 'northern summer night' (I assume the new dawn or dusk settings would suffice to simulate this), but rather just an adjustment of random values to account for the fact that, in June at 60 degrees north latitude, you have something like 14 hours of "day", 3 hours each of dawn and dusk, and only 4 hours of real night?? The opposite, of course, would be true in the winter.

Actually daylight in the winter lasts from approx. 09.00hrs until 15.00hrs in the dead of winter. The farther North you go the less light you get. In the summer the light lasts for approx 20-22hrs, the sun does not really set at all, it just dips behind the horizon for a few moments. Up North the sun does not set at all.

This is also a worthwhile note for scenario designers, especially for operations - I doubt there were many night battles in the North in June!!

You'd be surprised. smile.gif

Incidentally, I wonder what the difference is between the new dawn and dusk settings. Or did I misread, and there is just one setting for dawn/dusk? except for direction of the light (as mentioned above), I see little difference between the two.

Being blinded by the sun glaring at you from the horizon is not modelled so the direction from which the light is coming from is irrelevant. smile.gif

In CMBO you can have snow in June 1944. But I don't know if can happen with random settings, because I seldom play with random environment. Anyway, it probably would be positive if this kind of tweaking was added. But should there be more accurate weather modeling in general? AFAIK, right know it's pretty random, while in reality it usually rains and is muddy in autumn, and that kinda things.

Originally posted by Sergei:

But should there be more accurate weather modeling in general? AFAIK, right know it's pretty random, while in reality it usually rains and is muddy in autumn, and that kinda things.

Agreed. When you now pick random weather for January 45 you are liable to get wet/rain instead of snow.