Concrete Pill Boxes a wee bit too tough?

Reinforced concrete;

Concrete itself is all strength in Compression. That is why it is great for foundations.

In tension, a little bit of flex, and it cracks and fails.

Steel is great in tension, that is the reason for beams. In compression it is good, but to be useful would be too expensive.

Concrete + Steel is strong in compression and tension.

A Blast might crack concrete, and if it was unreinforced, it would crumble. The steel holds it together and resists tensile action.

As for bunker busting, one thing that should be considered is resonance. Sound travels through solid bodies much faster, and travels differently in steel than it does in concrete. This will eventually cause failure as the bond between concrete and steel can be broken. No bond, and reinforced concrete fails (which is why you should avoid rusty steel. A patena is fine, but not flaking).

The graphical representation of the pillboxes in the game has a lot to do with my opinion of their strenght, maybe I need to keep reminding myself "Abstraction, Joe...Abstraction..."

As tough as they are supposed to be, I guess I should be happy that some of them were killed by the 14" fire on my test scenario.

Gyrene