Ox & Bucks Insignia BMPS for Victory Flags?

Okay, this is an eye-candy request, and i need to get a scanner and do it myself, but, doesn't anyone have a BMP for the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry that would fit on a Victory Flag? It would really bring a tear to my eye to see it in AAR maps...

I've got a really nice Mod pack with Panzer Division insignias for VLs (and unit info windows) but i've yet to see any for Commonwealth Divisions.

I'd also really like to see a British Airborne insignia (sky blue Bellerophon riding Pegasus on a Maroon background) BMP suitable for Victory Flags...

I know the DFDR guys must have somethin'...

Thanks in advance.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

Okay, this is an eye-candy request, and i need to get a scanner and do it myself, but, doesn't anyone have a BMP for the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry that would fit on a Victory Flag? It would really bring a tear to my eye to see it in AAR maps...

.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What exactly did you mean? Cap badge? Shoulder title (metal)? Cloth shoulder flash? Flag in regimental colours? Collar Dog? Vehicle Unit Sign?

While we are on the subject of the Ox & Bucks L.I., I had a quick look at one of the Pegasus Bridge scenarios, and the Ox & Bucks were depicted as wearing maroon berets. Now to my knowledge, they were never part of "The maroon machine" but air landing and would have worn dark green berets. HOWEVER, and this is my major nit pick, neither Ox & Bucks nor Para would have worn berets in action, but would have worn helmets. Is there any mod for this? This is a slight digression from your original point about victory flags - sorry ;)

Richard.

D Company of the 2d Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry , a part of the Air Landing Brigade of the 6th Airborne Division (British Army) were the first Allied troops at Benouville Bridge and the Orne River Bridge (codenamed "Ham & Jam") later known as the Pegasus Bridge Operation.

They were crack glider troops commanded by Major John Howard and they wore the Maroon Beret.

However, the troops that eventually reinforced them - Lord Lovat's Commandos, wore green berets.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm primarily referring to the black Ox on the yellow background that I see used as the vehicle unit sign. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to muddy the waters further, AFAIK the sign used on most of the British mods is actually the Black Bull of the 11th Armoured Division which fought from Normandy to the end of the war.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Morgan:

While we are on the subject of the Ox & Bucks L.I., I had a quick look at one of the Pegasus Bridge scenarios, and the Ox & Bucks were depicted as wearing maroon berets. Now to my knowledge, they were never part of "The maroon machine" but air landing and would have worn dark green berets. HOWEVER, and this is my major nit pick, neither Ox & Bucks nor Para would have worn berets in action, but would have worn helmets. Is there any mod for this? This is a slight digression from your original point about victory flags - sorry ;)

Richard.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By 1944, all British airlanding troops wore maroon berets to denote their Airborne status. I agree with the nit pick.

Peter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

AFAIK the sign used on most of the British mods is actually the Black Bull of the 11th Armoured Division which fought from Normandy to the end of the war.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After further research I realize that this is correct. I would definitely enjoy using a BMP of the 11th armoured's Black Bull on the gold background for VL purposes. The majority of Ox & Bucks insignia (cap badge, shoulder flash & regimental flag) look like this:

Ox & Bucks Insignia...

I still would like a Brit Airborne "Pegasus" Victory Flag. Maximus??? Andrew???

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

After further research I realize that this is correct. I would definitely enjoy using a BMP of the 11th armoured's Black Bull on the gold background for VL purposes. The majority of Ox & Bucks insignia (cap badge, shoulder flash & regimental flag) look like this:

Ox & Bucks Insignia...

I still would like a Brit Airborne "Pegasus" Victory Flag. Maximus??? Andrew???

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have all the Brit Div markings on my Tommy site. If you send me the Victory flag bmp numbers, I can set you up. EMail me at

madorosh@home.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Morgan:

... HOWEVER, and this is my major nit pick, neither Ox & Bucks nor Para would have worn berets in action, but would have worn helmets. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a WWII story, but related none-the-less.

When the Paras went to the Falklands in 1982 they apparently had a reversable beret. In normal use it was the familiar maroon colour, but in the field it could be turned inside out to reveal a camoflage/DPM pattern.

Prior to one of their actions several of the soldiers were busily turning their berets inside out (and probably wishing they'd brought their helmets ...) when the RSM came along and asked them what the bl**dy hell they thought they were doing, reminded them they were paras - descendants of Frost, et al - and ordered them to turn them back the 'right' way out.

So off to battle they trotted, all decked out in Red Berets. :cool:

Regards

JonS

I stand corrected on the colour of the Ox & Bucks berets. Thanks for the response. JonS - I would be most interested in your source for your anecdote about the reversable beret. To my knowledge, neither Compton Webb nor Victor make such an item, I have never come across one, that's for sure :rolleyes: You can get black plastic cap badges in an effort to make your beret more tactical, but this is a bit of a losing battle with a bright maroon beret that stands out like a bulldog's b*llocks. The only soft dpm hat that I have encountered is the much despised "crow cap". I await your reply with interest.

Richard.

Um, it was something I read a loooong time ago. "Don't Cry For Me Sgt Major" perhaps?

I thought it was a little odd too when i read it, but I thought it made a humourous annecdote nonetheless smile.gif