Two questions

a) What is the difference between a gun and a howitzer, for example the 8-inch I can purchase for the US?

B) Only a language question (I'm German): is a Mountain Ranger = Gebirgsjäger? Or is it simple called Ranger?

------------------

Keine Gefangenen!

Visit my Combat Mission Sound Mods site!

Scipiobase

Join the Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club

The usual translation is Mountain Troops.

A Bergführer was a mountain guide; he was something special within a Mountain Troops unit.

In English, Ranger is used in the same way (by Americans) as the British used "Commandos".

German Mountain Troops weren't commando-type troops, just regular troops trained in mountain warfare IIRC.

Originally posted by Scipio:

a) What is the difference between a gun and a howitzer, for example the 8-inch I can purchase for the US?

I'm a little rusty on the topic, but I believe the main difference is in the trajectory of the shells. A gun fires more in a straight line while a howitzer can fire at higher trajectories.

------------------

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice Doggy", until you can get a good sight picture.

In CM terms, one of them has a greater blast. I can't remember which, but it's the one that's more expensive.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Mods, Scenarios, and more!

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

In CM terms, one of them has a greater blast. I can't remember which, but it's the one that's more expensive.

No, both have the same blast of 456m, I checked it.

A gun uses a fixed propellant charge (fixed as in always the same, not necessarily fixed to the shell like a bullet), and aims by aiming the piece.

A howitzer uses a lighter carriage and uses a variable propellant charge to achieve different ranges. This gives greater tactical flexibility. As previously mentioned by Mr. Oz, the howitzer has a higher trajectory, somewhat like a mortar, and can reach "dead ground" behind hills and other terrain features better than guns, which often overshoot.

I don't think CM models this difference in targetting.

------------------

Out of commission, become a pillbox.

Out of ammo, become a bunker.

Out of time -- become heroes...

Originally posted by Scipio:

No, both have the same blast of 456m, I checked it.

Are you positive? I just checked, and the howitzers have a blast of 388, while the guns have a blast of 456. (Nov. 44, reg. spotters)

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Mods, Scenarios, and more!

I'm not certain on other armies, but Finnish army distinguishes between guns and howitzers based on the barrel length only.

Long barrel - gun

Short barrel - howitzer

Really short barrel - siege mortar (only few old Russian 227mm siege mortars were used in WWII).

I can't remember the actual limits right now, but I think the border goes at 40 caliberes. Anything longer than that is a gun, anything shorter but longer than 8 caliberes is a howitzer. (For a 75mm gun the 40 caliberes is at 300 cm).

And about interesting troops... I can't stand waiting for CM4 to see some Gebirgsmarines.

- Tommi

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Are you positive? I just checked, and the howitzers have a blast of 388, while the guns have a blast of 456. (Nov. 44, reg. spotters)

Sorry, my mistake - I had two 8-inch guns instead of a gun and a howitzer. I better go to bed now ;).

Incidentally, Scipio, did you have a chance to check out the Waffen SS sound mod thread? M. Hofbauer and RMC had some interesting additions to the thread on use of the word "Herr" - you took quite an active interest in it the first time around, you may be interested in seeing their conclusions.

The Howitzer

a. Can achieve the same range firing on two different angles (high and low angle) with the same charge. This allows it to hit forces masked to a gun.

b. Is more accurate than a gun when firing low angle. Less accurate when firing high angle.

The Gun

a. Much higher MV than a howitzer gives it more range. But it's probable error in range is much greater than a howitizer's.

b. More accurate than a howitzer in a direct fire mode.

There are a lot of other differences but I went to Artillry officer basic a long time ago and can't remember them all.