Avante Garde CM

I was thinking about scenario/QB perameters and started to wonder about what kind of bizarre, hermaphrodite QB's and scenarios have been played.

Typically, I like to play CM in series of best out of 3, with all 3 games having the same parameters, switching sides at the conclusion of each game. This way you can back up your bragging rights by a "sweep" and reinforce your argument that it wasn't a fluke that you cleaned your opponents clock.

In terms of QB's, I've been thinking about playing completely unbalanced QB's, with one side sure to lose, just to see who can make the best out of a desperate situation. On my last set of match QB's, I proposed a 10,000 point axis force (assault) vs a 5,000 point Allied (defend) (hehehe- I like those huge regimental-type actions-don't get me wrong, the 200-3000 point range are fun beer-and- pretzel scale games, but having the flexibility to kit out your force the way you want it is a lot of fun. I think it allows you to develop some integrated tactics with the units that are in CM ). My opponent balked and compromised for a 7500 Axis vs 5000 Allied.

So the object of the match, IMO, is not to see which side can win, rather to see who doesn't get the snot knocked out of them as badly. Or even to pull out a win (then you REALLY have some major bragging rights). Sort of an "underdog" match.

On another tangent, what is the largest (pointwise) CM game you've heard of?

Comments?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by easy-v:

Typically, I like to play CM in series of best out of 3, with all 3 games having the same parameters, switching sides at the conclusion of each game.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ehhh, since there were only two and not three sides in the battle, how is this possible? One of you would have to play the same side twice, and then it wouldn't really be a "fair" contest.

In scoring duplicate bridge hands, all the North-South and all the East-West pairs play the same hands. Each NS pair gets one point for each NS pair getting a lower score on the hand and half a point for each NS pair getting the same score on the hand. [The EW pairs are scored similarly.] As each NS or EW pair is playing the same cards, the luck of the deal is eliminated.

As CM scores the games, the same approach could be used in CM tournaments, either with two person teams or with individuals. Everybody plays the same game, and there are two winners, the player with the best German score and the player with the best Allied score [or one winning team with the best combined score].

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by danyzn:

Ehhh, since there were only two and not three sides in the battle, how is this possible? One of you would have to play the same side twice, and then it wouldn't really be a "fair" contest.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GAME 1 Player 1=AXIS Player2=Allied

GAME 2 Player 1=Allied Player2=Axis

GAME 3 Player 1=AXIS Player2=Allied

Ususally, we coin toss for who is who for the first game. As far as fair goes, just make sure you take out your oponnent in 2 games smile.gif