Mac OS X?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GNFAN:

It should still run in "Classic" mode.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, not even that.

It'll be necessary to boot in OS9 to run CM.

Assuming somebody will actually switch to X in the next few years.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Nope, not even that.

It'll be necessary to boot in OS9 to run CM.

Assuming somebody will actually switch to X in the next few years.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are currently converting most of our USDOJ media system from NT4 to OSX computers. Some of the machines are set to default to 9, but the OSX is running better than you can believe on the others.

Olandt,

Porting is not a problem at all, since CM is actually written on a Mac (though I'm sure a large majority of the code is platfrom independent). The big issue is that CM uses RAVE, and RAVE is not supported at all natively under OS X, and the RAVE to OpenGL shim used for Classic doesn't support all the calls that CM requires (at least, the last I heard that was the case).

It would require a total rewrite of the rendering code for a native OS X version to use OpenGL instead of RAVE. This would be a large undertaking and delay CM2's release by several months (at least) so as such BTS has stated that a OS X native version won't happen until they rewrite the whole game engine (which will be at least after CM2, and maybe even after CM3).

Ben

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

We are currently converting most of our USDOJ media system from NT4 to OSX computers. Some of the machines are set to default to 9, but the OSX is running better than you can believe on the others.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good for you. smile.gif

Well okay, I was a bit harsh maybe.

But I'm currently a bit pissed in the hardness

of moving to X (in graphic arts area).

That's what I believe to be one the biggest Apple bastions.

(maybe education is larger)

QuarkXpress, the main tool of the industry doesn't run at all. Not even in classic. The next version will probably run under classic.

Adobe is not hurrying to transfer it's programs. No native Photoshop coming too soon.

And both of these will need to run native (not under emulation in classic) before we can even start thinking about making a transfer.

I do like the look of X, I'm running it on my work machine sometimes when I don't actually need to get anything done.

My estimate is a couple of years (1 to 5) before we can switch over.

---

BTW, in the light of these billion dollar firms not going to update their current software to OSX, except maybe later for a minor thousand dollar upgrade price, I find it a bit much for anybody to expect for BTS to do it for free.

Well wasn't that a long sentence.. redface.gif

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Jarmo ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Good for you. smile.gif

Well okay, I was a bit harsh maybe.

But I'm currently a bit pissed in the hardness

of moving to X (in graphic arts area).

That's what I believe to be one the biggest Apple bastions.

(maybe education is larger)

QuarkXpress, the main tool of the industry doesn't run at all. Not even in classic. The next version will probably run under classic.

Adobe is not hurrying to transfer it's programs. No native Photoshop coming too soon.

And both of these will need to run native (not under emulation in classic) before we can even start thinking about making a transfer.

I do like the look of X, I'm running it on my work machine sometimes when I don't actually need to get anything done.

My estimate is a couple of years (1 to 5) before we can switch over.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Quark pisses me off, and Adobe had better get its act together also. We use a ton of Photoshop, but are not wedded to it if push comes to shove.