Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Das Reich's gnome

Here is a clear picture of the critter -

http://www.panzer-vi.fsnet.co.uk/east29.html

It is always seen on Tiger Is only, because it was a unit symbol of the schwere Panzer company of 2 Panzer regiment, 2SS. Not of the whole division nor of all of its armor - just the Tigers. Later on, the SS Panzer divisions lost their organic Tigers; they were moved up to the corps level, organizationally speaking, as independent Tiger battalions. That changeover happened before the King Tiger came out.

This page explains the origin and use (see the caption of the second picture - brief but to the point) -

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tiger1_in_action_2.htm

It was originally a unit symbol of a transport company in Kharkov, adopted by this one Tiger company.

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: JasonC ]

One source, "Tigers in Combat II" states the symbol was in use from Kursk until the end of 1943. That was what I suspected after I read your post but before I had a chance to look it up. The main reason it was dropped after that is I suspect, related to Jason's comments about the removal of the SS Tiger companies as organic parts of the SS Panzer Divisions and the creation of Schwere Panzer Abteilungen.

So I would guess it would be safe to assume it was seen in the late summer and fall battles on the East Front in 1943, but not present when Das Reich was in the west.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by highlife:

One source, "Tigers in Combat II" states the symbol was in use from Kursk until the end of 1943. That was what I suspected after I read your post but before I had a chance to look it up. The main reason it was dropped after that is I suspect, related to Jason's comments about the removal of the SS Tiger companies as organic parts of the SS Panzer Divisions and the creation of Schwere Panzer Abteilungen.

So I would guess it would be safe to assume it was seen in the late summer and fall battles on the East Front in 1943, but not present when Das Reich was in the west.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crap. I wanted to make a late model Tiger 1 E model with the gnome but that would be utterly inaccurate. I'll either have to switch to the early model Tiger or model something else like GrossDeutschland.

A little more research shows a photo captioned as being just after the final action of the DR Tiger Co in very late 1943 and the gnome is clearly visible but definately the early model Tiger I.

Unlike the SS tigers, the GD Tiger Co stayed as part of GD for the duration so that is a possibility for a mod too.

Of interest, the late 1943 photos I refer to also have the Kursk DR division tactical symbol "Doppelrune" as well.