Future plans?

I am a new fan. I picked up my first copy of CMBO when it first came out, years ago. I could not get into the new game system and the graphics put me off, so I went back to my first love, SPWAW.

A few months ago my son put me onto CMBO/CMBB again. He was raving about them, I got curious and bought both from a local retailer. I visited the websites and learned about mods. I tried CMBO out first, and very quickly got hooked this time.

Being bored with SPWAW and weary with waiting for its new incarnation helped me make the jump (not that I will give up on SPWAW, like Wild Bill I believe one can enjoy both games).

I can see that CMBO is suffering in terms of graphics and other limitations that will make it inferior to the experience one will be able to get from CMBB.

CMBB has new types of terrain tiles that make it look more realistic and fun (wheat fields with wherat that stands up, cemetries, proper rubble).

It can also be played from the beginning of the conflict to the end, whereas CMBO starts on D-Day and its terrain can't properly represent the North African and Mediterranean theaters where the war was fought for the preceeding four years.

Are there any plans to update CMBO or bring out modules that would allow the covering of those other periods/theaters?

[ March 30, 2003, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: fabs ]

Quote from fabs

I can see that CMBO is suffering in terms of graphics and other limitations that will make it inferior to the experience one will be able to get from CMBB.
This is still the grand forerunner and will always be...to me the graphics are secondary. The game model is very life like and still very enjoyable and realistic to play. :cool:

Originally posted by fabs:

[sNIP]

......Are there any plans to update CMBO or bring out modules that would allow the covering of those other periods/theaters?

There are no plans of updating or even patching CMBO,it is a finished product.You can find a desert mod

CLICK HERE ,but i have never tried it.A couple/few years form now,it is said/rumored that the next CM to be released will be in the mediterrainian(?),and i would imagine the graphics will be as good if not better than CMBB.CM is a work in progress,it will cover different theaters of the war with each new realese.I think the exception to this is the pacific,and i think the reason was the designers limited knowledge of said theater.

There were also some D-Day total conversionm mods somewhere,but i be damned if i can find them.The one im thinking of even came with a scenario,anyone know where this can be found?

I have seen most of the mods there are around for CMBO. As a matter of fact, I have spent more time collecting and preparing mods for installation (I can't get CMMOS to work properly) than playing the game.

I have seen the desert mod, but I have not tried it. I can see how they can get around the terrain issues, sort of, but how would they get around the absence of Italians and the dates problem, with OOBs that would be very different to those automatically available in CMBO?

If there is a way to hack the OOB files, I haven't come across it yet.

Please understand that I am not being critical. I have a huge appetite for this game having got used to its improved look and the game system, but that only makes me frustrated by the limitations.