Word of "Mouth" Works

A friend recently mentioned to me that he'd seen a demo of a computer game called "Avalon Hill's Squad Leader" which was based (he said) on the X-Com engine. My favorite computer game is X-Com, so I went surfing on the web looking for info and review.

And I found them. They were all pretty mediocre, and said that it was actually based on the "Soldiers at War" engine. I own Soldiers at War, but I don't play it. I also noticed, however, that a lot of review kept comparing "Squad Leader" to another game called "Combat Mission" and that CM kept coming out ahead in the comparisons.

So I went looking for reviews of Combat Mission. And I found them. Hoody-hoo! THIS was a cool-sounding game. I _hate_ real-time games (I'm not a computer), but simultaneous resolution gives me the best of both turn-based and real-time gaming.

So I downloaded the demo and I am now impatiently awaiting my newly purchased game (and the manual). And I've been showing the demo to all my computer gaming friends (who are all more heavily into them than I am anyhow).

Word of mouth, baby.

Remo said

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Hoody-hoo! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe.... Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't that Golmer's secret call to Sgt. Carter?

Glad to see that the word has reached another interested wargamer. I recently brought my game over to a co-workers house that never played a wargame in his life. He absolutely loved it and said he was going to show his brother the game. Turns out that he is a wargamer for many years from SL on up. He totally flipped over it saying stuff like 'Oh my God they have this in it?' and 'I cant believe that was covered. Just knocked the socks off him. The rest was history. Needless to say there will be a few more copies bought from his circle of friends because of the thing you described, word of mouth.

BTW, welcome and let me know if you want to play a battle after you get that full game.

vs

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Glad to have you aboard Remo, and welcome to the community we call CM.

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

"Hoody-hoo!" is the warcry of the Knights of the Dinner Table. They're a group of role-players in a comic book of the same name. It's very funny if you've ever played RPGs for any length of time.

I've been playing RPGs for (geez) decades--more than 20 years--but only recently became interested in (tabletop) wargames. Combat Mission interested me, but I have almost no idea about tactics. I'll be playing a lot of small games initially to figure out what I'm doing.

A few games against the TacAI and you'll know a lot more about tactics than when you started. And tossing off military jargon like Gen. Patton himself. (which folks on this board love to do...)

------------------

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

-Bertrand Russell