Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Nebelwerfers

Guest Laughing_boy

Guest Laughing_boy

For the 150mm Nebelwerfer the ammunition is listed as 20 rounds. If I get 2 spotters @20 rounds each, that gives me 40 screaming rockets. My question is: if one nebelwerfer has 6 tubes do the 20 rounds come from one single unit...i.e. is it reloaded?

Or, do the 20 rounds assigned to it refer to a battery of let's say 3 nebelwerfers?

How many individual rocket carriages would make up a 'typical' nebelwerfer battery? And what would be a historical nebelwerfer set up?

Guest ckoharik

Well, IIRC, each "battery" was comprised of six launchers and each launcher could hold twenty rounds which equaled two full volleys per launcher. My guess is that they modelled it as just one launcher. They Nebelwerfer really was more of a preparatory artillery piece rather than a tactical one because of its inaccuracy.

All off map arty in CM is modelled as four weapon batteries, whether historical or not.

Where you get the number of 20 rockets I don't know. Each rocket battery have 25 rockets available by default.

Each launcher has six tubes, so 24 of these rockets are launched within a few seconds. Then the last rocket take a little longer to load and fire.

Cheers

Olle

Guest ckoharik

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

All off map arty in CM is modelled as four weapon batteries, whether historical or not.

Where you get the number of 20 rockets I don't know. Each rocket battery have 25 rockets available by default.

Each launcher has six tubes, so 24 of these rockets are launched within a few seconds. Then the last rocket take a little longer to load and fire.

Cheers

Olle

I wasn't aware of the four weapon battery model. That'll teach me to search first, type second.

The 15cm Nebelwerfer launcher actually has 10 tubes. At least the ones that I have seen.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/3620/sdkfz41.htm

[NOTE: Gawd, I'm such a dolt. 5 tubes with 2 rows. Come on brain, work damn you! Nevermind, I'll shut up now. Thought we were talking motorized not towed.]

-Chris (guess I should remember to put this part in so I'm not referred to as "ckoharik". wink.gif )

[This message has been edited by ckoharik (edited 03-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ckoharik (edited 03-23-2001).]

Guest Laughing_boy

Thanks Olle, I stand corrected, 25 rockets. So, 4 launchers @6 rockets...with the last one loaded and fired to 'tidy' the place up.

I've seen the halftrack launchers bristling with rockets in 'crate' tubes fastened on the side. What was the capacity of these mobile launchers...where they used in the period of the Normandy battles?

And what would be a historical nebelwerfer set up?

Well, a towed 15cm NbWf 41 or 28/32 NbWf 41 Battery had 6 separate launchers with 6 tubes each. So a Battery could launch up to 36 rockets per salvo.

A Werferabteilung had three Batteries, 108 tubes.

A Werfer-Regiment had in turn three Abteilungen, 324 tubes. The Werfer-Regiment was the highest organizational level for the Nebelwerfer-troops.

The motorized Nebelwerfers, as seen at the Link posted by ckoharik, were the 15 cm Panzerwerfer 42. A battery of these were eight Panzerwerfer for a total of 80 tubes.