Point blank infantry fire

If I select a squad, it tells me what firepower it has at different ranges.

These are just points along a line, I imagine.

The reason I ask is that I have an Axis Rifle 44 squad, 5 people left, shooting at a U.S. squad from nine (9) meters away only.

At Range: 40m, my squad has a total firepower of 135. How much would that be at 9 meters I wonder?

Strangely I didn't hear the SMG or LMG fire at all during the turn, but every time there was rifle fire the U.S. squad dropped by one person. I guess that at 9 meters it's kind of hard to miss.

These squads are in the woods. Is it realistic for them to be shooting at each other like this from only 9 meters distance? Wouldn't one of them surrender or scamper off by that time?

Just wondering.

It should be pretty straightforward to find out the firepower--target them manually with the LOS tool at the beginning of the turn.

I don't think that firepower is linear with range. I recall a post from BTS (I think it was Charles) a while back describing how it varied with range in quite a bit of detail. The machinepistols aren't going to be terribly accurate, but they'll keep heads down so that the riflemen can keep theirs up and pick away.

As for maintaining contact at 9 m (approx 30 ft) -- imagine they're pinned behind some rocks or logs or a shallow depression in the ground-- it may be just as hard to back out of that as it is to go forward. If you watch the movie from view #1 you ought to see a lot of grenades going back and forth.

Edited to add this URL to the discussion of MP40 vs. MP44 firepower, which provides a lot of information about how firepower varies with distance and what goes into those variations.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/008696.html

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 01-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 01-28-2001).]

I had a platoon of infantry rush my MG42, they made it to 8m from my MG, once there, they remained there for 3 turns. Now, at 8m and 3minutes of fire from an MG42 you'd expect a pile of corpses right? Wrong. The MG42 didn't cause a single casualty at 8m.

------------------

No bastard has ever won a war by dying for his country. They won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

I had a platoon of infantry rush my MG42, they made it to 8m from my MG, once there, they remained there for 3 turns. Now, at 8m and 3minutes of fire from an MG42 you'd expect a pile of corpses right? Wrong. The MG42 didn't cause a single casualty at 8m.

At that distance they can sit behind a rock and toss grenades until they get lucky (or the other guy gets lucky). If they're in proper cover, it doesn't matter how close the MG42 is or what its ROF.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Guest Germanboy

I think that below 40m there is a special calculation going on to factor in eye-gouging, teeth and (for Finnish squads only) toothpicks. So I am not quite sure whether it is linear. Would not make sense, because if two squads are only 10m from each other, they would be intermingled already.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

None of this is at all strange - three entire minutes? That's a long time when both sides are terrified of making the first move. Not unusual at all.

There were cases in Stalingrad, Ortona, et al where squads occupied different rooms of the same house for hours, sometimes entire days, because they were terrified of making the first move.

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

Well, I think that is just rotten luck (for your opponent) or good luck (for you). I have seen an 8 men SS squad charge the .50 in Last Defense (beta demo days) on the top floor of the church, and the HMG shredded the entire squad when they came into the building. For good measure it also wiped half of another squad before finally succumbing.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.