Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Flamethrowers, Light Machine Gunners, Combat Engineers

With the announcement of the upcoming Combat Mission 2 forthcoming, I thought I stick my two cents in on a few topics. Why are flame thrower personnel so damn slow? I find them SO slow they completely miss all the action--their "move" speed is almost a crawl compared to a squad's "sneak" speed. This also makes them great targets. Conversely, the light machine gunners "move" speed is TOO fast comapared to a squad's "sneak" speed. Why are the Combat Engineers more "disturbed" that regular troops when any firing comes near them? My uncle was a Combat Engineer and they are as tough as nails and work under very dangerous conditions effectively. Why can't Combat Engineers clear barbed wire and road blocks, and why given enough extra time, cannot regular troops clear mines?

1. Flamethrowers are slow because they're carrying a lot of heavy equipment. The German ones are faster, though.

2. I haven't noticed engineers panicking more readily than other units. Perhaps they happened to be taking more fire at the time.

3. Combat engineers can't clear barbed wire and road blocks because they only have demo charges, which aren't very effective against either of these obstacles. In most cases, they would need more than the 15-60 minutes allowed in a CM game to clear them, unless they have special equipment, and in CM, they are assumed to only have the equipment in their packs, ie demo charges.

4. If I was a regular soldier, I would be scared s***less by handling mines with no training. I'd be a lot more likely to just mark the minefield for the trained engineers to clear. In a way, this is already done, as a flag appears once your soldiers have "discovered" a minefield.