CM Mods for Newbies booklet available NOW!!

Bog's recent post about using batch file mods motivated me to go ahead and make my little booklet on the theory and practice of installing and using CM mods available on my website.

So, for what it's worth, this MS Windows Doc file...

CM_Mods_Title.jpg

...is now available at Old Dog's CM Central for download. The booklet covers the basics of how CM displays 3-D textures, how to download and install mods to change them, how optional textures can be used, and how those confusing batch files work.

It's meant to be a guide for the totally to mildly intimidated on using mods. PC version only available currently (Sorry frown.gif Any enterprising Mac user interested in doing a Mac "translation" let me know.)

Hope it offers some help for those new to the CM community or to mods.

- Old Dog

Bob, found an error in your Guide.

The last paragraph in the Batch file section is a little unclear. You forgot to say that you must first select the Program tab before "finding" the Change Icon button.

------------------

For your dream car click here.

For a Close Encounter click here.

Hey look! I can see my house!

And for all you Hamster Lovers out there, check this out! Kitty, this one's for you!

Originally posted by Maximus:

The last paragraph in the Batch file section is a little unclear. You forgot to say that you must first select the Program tab before "finding" the Change Icon button.

On it, Max!

Version 1.01 making this more clear is now available cool.gif

- Old Dog

[This message has been edited by Old Dog (edited 03-24-2001).]

Got a copy of this by e-mail. Superb. Should be a link to it permanently posted on CM sites.

Just one query, when you go to change the icons on batch files, when you initially select 'change icon', by default you get a load of (Windows?) options in a box. I have about 15 mods that use batch files, is it not possible to dump all the icons into that Windows directory (wherever it is) or would that screw up the OS? Would make finding your icons a lot easier.

Originally posted by Apache:

Got a copy of this by e-mail. Superb. Should be a link to it permanently posted on CM sites.

Just one query, when you go to change the icons on batch files, when you initially select 'change icon', by default you get a load of (Windows?) options in a box. I have about 15 mods that use batch files, is it not possible to dump all the icons into that Windows directory (wherever it is) or would that screw up the OS? Would make finding your icons a lot easier.

Thanks, Apache, glad it's helpful biggrin.gif

As far as your question about adding the CM batch icons to the default icons that come up, it wouldn't screw up the OS, but it would not be practical. Believe the defaults are all compiled into a single DLL file that comes with Windows. While you can find software that compiles and decompiles icon DLL libraries, this would have to be done every time a new icon was added - just copying the icon into the appropriate Windows folder wouldn't do it.

Easier all the way around to just BROWSE to the CM directory and get only CM related icons to pick from.

- Old Dog