OT: Win95 crash, now "normal" mode is safe mode?? HELP!

after suffering a crash in win95 i chose start in safe mode, knowing that i could shut down the pc properly from there. Unfortunately, the pc now thinks that "normal mode" is safe mode. I have no clue how to get out of this, assuming it is possible. In view of the helpful advice re techno stuff given out by this community, i am chancing my arm and hoping that i can get some kind sole to point me in the right direction, thanks, chris

1.When your computer first boots, rest your finger over the Function key F8.

2. The moment you see Starting Windows 95, hit F8.

3. You will see a text menu of choices. Choose normal boot and it should be okay.

see my email in my profile if you need any more help.

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Ok...time for my little friend named Scanreg /restore!

You could try to manually set all your desktop resolutions and colors back to normal, but if that doesnt help:

1. Get to your DOS prompt. Either by restarting in DOS or just opening it in Acessories.

2. Ok It should say C:\ or C:\windows> or something. Type scanreg /restore

3. It will scan your registry and tell you you need to restart to do this, just say ok

4. You'll see a list of dates. These are your system registries for those dates. Pick a date before your crash (like the day before, for example)

5. Your comp will restart, and when windows boots, it should be like it was before the crash. All programs you installed (even those after the date you chose) will still be there, but any registry errors will be gone.

This may be different for 95. It works pretty much this way on 98 and ME. If the interface isn't exactly like what I described above, dont freak. Just type scanreg /restore choose the correct date and you should be fine.

Boot into Win98 in safemode. My computer / right click on C drive go down to properties / tools / check for errors

Then shutdown then restart, see if that helps ?

What did you do to get your machine to want to boot in software mode ?

Geoff

no "safe" in corners. Windows boots into the "safemode" resolution and colours, without the option to alter them.

rebooted and tried the scandisk thru the "mycomputer C drive/properties method" and the scandisk reported a msdos prog (sounded like ms access)to be too long. When i said ignore and continue it hung shortly afterwards.

Tried the msdos prompt "scanreg /restore" but got "bad command or file missing" error message(tried different combos of spacing with no joy- was in C:\ prompt, main root at the time).

What seemed to cause the thing to crash in the first place was a duplicated and corrupted txt file in word. (This was deleted) but 15 minutes after doing this and continuing with the "uncorrupted" txt file the system hung, screen went black ad pc stopped.

Now when trying to reboot win95 almost gets to open fully, looks like most of the tray icons have loaded, when it reboots again. Sometimes it runs scandisk , sometimes it doesn't. Odd

On the occasion when it does fully load i am still in the "safe mode" config without the safemode warning flags, someone called it "software mode".

Looks like i am going to have to call out an expensive engineer fellas?

Chris

When you boot up, go to device manager and remove the display card...plus any other references to other display cards so that there are NO display cards showing at all. Your PC will prompt you to restart, Win95 will then redetect your display card and you may have to reinstall the drivers. This should solve your problem. Email me at mst007@bigfoot.com, I`m one of those expensive computer engineers ;)