Should briefing details include tactical orders?

Recently I've had a discussion over how much detail should be included in a brief. In an operation I designed "Break at Glukhov" he suggested that tactical orders especially for the German side should be given. To the effect that the player would know that he is supposed to use his light recon armor to actively search and engage Soviet recon forces in the area.

to give some perspective Glukhov is a fictional op of the collapse of Army Group Center. A small convoy consisting of a landser platoon and 75mmAT gns are mounted on trucks and tractors to speed them away from pursuing Red recon armor. The German set up zones has nearby the convoy 4 AC's (2-20mm's, a heavy AC with short 75 and a Puma) in addition he has the option to include a MK III

to his defending mobile response force.

the reds have 2-B64's on the road searching for the convoy and nearby another lt armor force of 3 T70's and 3 Stuart's with a recon squad mounted on halftracks making up the search and destroy force.

I prefer to keep briefs informative but not to the point where I write out the tactical orders for the starting moves of a game. It amounts to being a spoiler of sorts and limits the tactical options for a player who'd like to think up his own moves instead.

Any feedback on this thought?

All best

Patrick

I think it is OK to give tactical options in briefing. VLs locations help too.. I belive in the "situation"(mission) part of the briefing this would be a perfect spot... Also I am sure if you have recon in the area you could also give a little insight on what is happening in the intelligence part of the briefing...

Depends on your style and the scenario itself. I just did one that I gave a little more tactical information to the player, due to the cicumstance, however as a rule, the player can see the map, see the flags, has unlimited time to move about the map in the setup phase. I allow the player to make his own tactical plans. However, as I said, sometimes circumstances state the player needs to know a little more, then you give it to them.

Rune

Thanks! That puts things into perspective. I guess my friend had a pretty strong point there.

Panzertruppe, that's an unusual twist to a scenario. I'll have to take a looksee on that one.

Just goes to show there's a lot of ways to re-invent a senario so it doesn't become run of the mill.

All best

Patrick