Holding a bridge-both sides or just 1?

Hey all,

I'm playing my first PBEM Campaign (the Arnhem 'Bridge too far' campaign) as the Allies. My mission is to hold the bridge for 3 days and have the one side pretty well held - however, I don't want to try and death march my guys across the bridge in an attempt to control that end too unless I have to.

So is controlling 1 side of the bridge enough to be considered "holding" it, or do I have to control both sides?

Thanks in advance,

-Steve

Drat - looks like I should've grabbed both sides of the bridge when I had a chance, instead of trying to hold one side more effectively. Now that the Hun has reenforcements it will be much more difficult. Oh well, live and learn (which happens a LOT with this game from scenario to scenario <G>).

Thanks for the info!

-Steve

When you're playing a campaign/operation, check out the description to see how victory will be determined (if the designer doesn't specify it in the description, then cheat and open up the file and look at the setting - you need to know it up front). There are 3 types of operation and they are described in the manual.

Destroy - points only given for killing the enemy

Advance - you are expected to reach the other side of the map

Assault - you are expected to attack as far as possible.

The A Bridge Too Far operation on the CD is a destroy operation, so unfortunately, the game will only base its score on the number of kills (the German player is trying to wipe you out); holding one, both or neither side of the bridge really matters (although you could change the victory conditions by agreeing with your opponent).