is combat mission worth buying

Originally posted by The Commissar:

I'll have to humbly disagree with the last one. To be fair, you would need someone shooting at you with various weapons of mass destruction, coupled with lots of pain, death and other unpleasantess, for it to be "just like being there".

Well gee, here again, (see my post on the second page of the Survivor thread in the General Forum) some people just don't have an imagination. rolleyes.gif

So the camera work in the beach landing scene in SPR didn't make you feel like you were there?

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

"I do what I likes, and I likes what I do."--Darrell Hammond (portraying Bill Clinton), SNL

Originally posted by Tiger:

Why do I get the feeling The Commisar is going to enjoy CM2, The Eastern Front, a little too much.... *chuckle*

`Tiger

Are you insulting CM2? Are you saying it should not be purchased? Cause if you are, I know where you live, buddy!

In all seriousness, I probably will, too. The subject matter is somewhat closer to me then CM1. Of course, if BTS messes it up...oh wait, im steering into the realm of science fiction with that one. wink.gif

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Originally posted by Maximus:

Well gee, here again, (see my post on the second page of the Survivor thread in the General Forum) some people just don't have an imagination. rolleyes.gif

So the camera work in the beach landing scene in SPR didn't make you feel like you were there?

Again, to be fair, CM is a far way from the effects SPR produced. Even if it was, I was watching SPR munching popcorn, in a comfortable couch (I rented the video). Its a good representation, but its still not "just like being there".

The keyword is "just". Which implies it is exactly the way you would feel in a combat zone. Which it isnt. Anyway, whatever. Lets not argue over something this silly.

Cheers!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Originally posted by Cleavis:

i recently played the combat mission demo, i thought it was very fun, but i was not sure whether or not i should buy it...although i have heard many good things, and good reviews, is it worth the $45?

If you have any interest in WW Ii games and enjoyed either the Close Combat series, Steel Panthers series, or even remember the old Apple SSI "War" games. Get Combat Mission. Best $45 I've spent on a game in years!

I too have become a "Mod Slut"!

------------------

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice Doggy", until you can get a good sight picture.

You won't regret it. Like they say, it;ll save you money in the long run because you won't buy another game for a long time. And after you play it for say 6 months and just start thinking well maybe I'll look around to see what else is out there, you can download the mods like, sounds, uniforms, terrains, vehicles and guns and tanks, etc and have a brand new and exciting game again. But play the orignal game first, it's great in itself, then go for the mods. You cannot go wrong getting this game. I could go on forever but I think you should be getting the message - what are you waiting for. Buy it. When you do please let us know by responding, I'd like to ask you what you think. Man, you are going to be very happy.

Is the Pope Polish?

OK, now that you know where I stand, I must confess that I didn't care much for the CM demo. Once I downloaded it, I messed with it for 10 minutes and deleted it...whatta dope! I finally succumbed to all the rave reviews and bought the full version thinking that I'd missed something in the demo. Did I ever! This is a teriffic game, give it a try and you likely won't regret it. What's more, if you don't like it, wait until it goes out of print, come back to this forum and unload it for more than you paid for it. That's how much it is sought.

Guest MantaRay

This game sucks. The only reason anyone says they like it is because Matt has threatened us with the Hair Pic. That coupled with incorporation of it in the Your Base Are Belong To Us video will surely end humanity as we know it. biggrin.gif

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

New Site of the PLA:Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror

i recently played the combat mission demo, i thought it was very fun, but i was not sure whether or not i should buy it...although i have heard many good things, and good reviews, is it worth the $45?

When I tried the Demo I hated it, but when my friend bought CM and I could try the real thing, I was hooked.

Just a warning though, while it's the best $45 you can spend, it can only lead to the slippery slope of addiction.

You start with that first MadDog mod pack and then a few 3rd party mods, this leads to that new cable modem or DSL line. Now you can read the forum at ligthning speed and download every hi-res mod there is.

But where to put them all and the screen is starting to white out. Off to the store or web to buy that new video card and hard drive. Ah, now we have CM heaven plenty of great graphics!

Umm, but you know that All or Nothing scenario looks great with these new mods, but it takes an awful long time to figure out each turn. Time for that CPU and memory upgrade. There we go, now it cranks out that scenario!

Well, geez, with all those mouse clicks during those new installs your mouse's ball is all gummed up. Have to get yourself one of those new optical mice for more precise movement orders!

Now things are great, except you have to choose between music or sound effects. Yup, that latest Sound Blaster card would let you listen to music while you play and it's really quite a bargain at twice the price.

Download a few more mods, and you know that .50 cal sound recording could use a bit more base. Why with a few wires you can run the sound right into your stereo! Now, the earth really shakes when those 14" shells land.

So, then you read the forum post about the best music to play the game to and start thinking wouldn't it be nice to record your own CD with all the best pieces on it? You bet, time to pick up that CD burner. You probably really needed a second CD anyway since the CM CD never leaves the original drive.

Now we've got graphics, sound, and speed! Fire up the game and the PC crashes. Yes, you've overwhelmed your poor little 230 watt power supply. Time for that nice little 300 watt beauty.

Next comes the new monitor and the in-house LAN so when friends visit you don't have to play hot seat games.

But, then I've always been a weak willed person and I'm sure you're much stronger and this couldn't possibly happen to you...

Carl

well, i gotta admit though, the demo isn't that good, as the only allied tanks that you have access to are sherman 75s, 105's and 76's plus the fact that the two maps they give you are very unbalanced for one or the other side,

i ordered combat mission yesterday, so thanks for your input guys.

btw, i loved that 150mm sig infantry gun the germans had in defense, it really knows how to kick the crap out of infantry...

Originally posted by The Commissar:

Again, to be fair, CM is a far way from the effects SPR produced. Even if it was, I was watching SPR munching popcorn, in a comfortable couch (I rented the video). Its a good representation, but its still not "just like being there".

The keyword is "just". Which implies it is exactly the way you would feel in a combat zone. Which it isnt. Anyway, whatever. Lets not argue over something this silly.

Cheers!

Not to carry on the argument, but you brought it up. tongue.gif I only used the phrase initially as a figure of speech, and then you made a comment about how a figure of speech isn't really what it's saying. Well what's new? Yes the argument is silly, so why even make such a comment in the first place? tongue.gif Oh I see, you picked out the word "just" and made an issue about it. Ahh, like I say again, no imagination.

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 03-04-2001).]

... the only allied tanks that you have access to are sherman 75s, 105's and 76's ...

Not much different from the real thing. Only difference is that they come with a couple of different A-numbers attached. wink.gif

I don't care much wether my Sherman is an M4, M4A1, M4A2, M4A3 or so...

Cheers

Olle