CM-UTDB : Unit Research - Wespe & M8 Greyhound

Here goes nothing! smile.gif

As some of you may already be aware from an earlier post....i am attempting to put together a web-based dossier, hosted on the COMBAT MISSIONS site, detailing the strength's and weaknesses of all the units found in CMBO. From this, hopefully, we can ALL learn something from each other about the tactical in's & outs of using them to the best, or worst! frown.gif of their capabilities within the game.

I intend to try and gather as much info as possible for each unit and hopefully, in time, it will become a valuable reference, whether your a newbie, or more experienced, CM player.

Let's start with the :-

Wespe Self-propelled Artillery Gun

M8 Greyhound

How do YOU use these in CM?. What are their strength's/weaknesses. In your experience, are they worth 'buying'?. If not, WHY!?. Do you have any anecdotes (good or bad) from the CM battlefield with these units that you would like to share with others?.

Please either respond directly to this post here or visit the site below and check out the Unit Profile section....here you will be able to e-mail stuff anytime you like.

TIA!

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

Hay if you want info on tanks from WW2 I have a hole book full of stuff about them. Just send me line. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Rob/1 (edited 01-01-2001).]

I can get thoghts to. The Wesp is not worth a dime the Grayhound one well I have killed Jagdtigers with them

[This message has been edited by Rob/1 (edited 01-01-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob/1:

I can get thoghts to. The Wesp is not worth a dime the Grayhound one well I have killed Jagdtigers with them

[This message has been edited by Rob/1 (edited 01-01-2001).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So why do you think the Wespe is useless?...and what sort of shots did you get on the Jadgtiger with the M8.

------------------

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

Guest Rex_Bellator

The last time I used a Wespe (In 1.05) a bunch of British infantry charged up to it and it blew itself up with it's own HE blast (at 30m) trying to beat them off frown.gif . I must try one with the Beta to see if this has changed, but it's something you may want to mention to look out for in your guide. Great idea BTW.

------------------

"We're not here to take it - We're here to give it"

General Morshead's response to the popular newspaper headline "Tobruk Can Take It"

Ok I will give it a shot.

Wespe

Use

Infantry support, building busting

Pros

Very cheap, avg-good ammo loadout, 105 packs a mean punch, great ground pressure, may have HC to deal with enemy armour in a pinch.

Cons

Weak protection(open turret) make them vulnerable to everything down to the .50cal, no carrying capacity, slow ROF though on par with StuH42, no MG, not effective in the AT role.

I will purchase Wespes regularly in certain situations,ie Attack and bad ground conditions, but generally if I have the points I would prefer StuH42s. One PBEM game, back in the heyday of uber-JeepMGs, my opponent ran a JeepMG in a wide flanking maneuver against my Wespe. The Wespe turned to engage but couldn't get off a shot. Finally after about 40s of firing the JeepMG caused the Wespe crew to abandon the vehicle much to my disgust.

M8 Greyhound

Use

Recon

Pros

Very fast, can destroy some German MBTs from the flank, carries HE/has two MGs, fast ROF, a very accurate gun.

Cons

It's intended role can make for a short life expectantcy, has a medium speed, open turret, armour is adequate against small arms fire but vulnerable to everything else especially the 20mmFlak, it's HE isn't very effective against infantry.

I will usually purchase them in pairs and have them operate together, they can be quite effective that way. I have too many anecdotes actually, both good and bad smile.gif, but one time I had a lone Greyhound out watching my open flank. It spotted a Panther and MkIV trying to sneak in behind my forces so I set up a flanking ambush. When they triggered it the Greyhound destroyed the MkIV with one shot and the Panther with two, range less than 100m.

[This message has been edited by JoePrivate (edited 01-01-2001).]

Thanks gentlemen...now, this is the sort of info i'm interested in gathering. I have added a few of the comments made so far.

For anyone who is wondering what i'm doing, take a look at this, it might make it a bit more clearer about what i'm trying to achieve here.

www.combatmissions.co.uk/units.htm

Thanks for the info - keep it coming!! smile.gif

------------------

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

[This message has been edited by Manx (edited 01-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Manx (edited 01-02-2001).]