IDeas on time limits

aparently a few people feel that time limits in operations are a bit combersome. there should be an option put in to extend or eliminate the time limit in at least operations..

As for supply issues: 1)reinforcements, the supply truck idea, ammo caches: these could solve the no ammo situation.(pull back resupply and back to the front.) this might take a few but what if

2)both sides break contact then both sides could just secretly agree to resupply, just like the cease fire. t hen battle can pick up shortly after. maybe a night attack to disrupt resupply

think how interesting it would be to ambush supply lines or raid ammo caches?! or to defend them from attack?

i did a few training operations wiht the United states army where we had to locate supply caches and ambush supply routs. adds a whole new use for scout units and small squad uses to CM. personallyl i found the hunting and raiding fun.

come on at least put in the option. i agree that single senarios need the time limit. but operations are long term, and the clock gtets in teh way.

The problem with this, is, that Operations rely more on a time limit than individual Battles. Since there are no objectives no time limit will allow the guy with the upper hand in the part of the operation to clear out ALL enemy resistance before the next part begins. The time limit is supposed to simulate the time restraints of achieving whatever goal of the battle. If you lose the time restraint you lose a feeling of urgency or necessity of planning for the specific part of the battle. All attacks will be liesurely, severely hampering any defender. Games will drag on so long both sides will lose interest. Also, what would simulate the end of one part of the operation and the beginning of another part?

I am sympathetic to a variable limit (ie. turns don't always end on turn 30, could be turn 28 or turn 32), but, the elimination of time limits will only skew the game and probably make it less interesting to play.

I don't agree with those who argue for no time limits just so they can totally annihilate their enemy, by this time the game is over. Rarely did each side agree on anything, and commanders didn't like the idea of pulling back even a few feet, unless it was to straighten out the line in a desperate situation. My understanding it, that troops get reinforced between battles in an operation, tanks can get repaired, and so on.

These raids were seen more like capturing important bridges or bases, and are very well modeled by CM already. Just create a big map, with small numbers of units a long game (ie 60+ turns) and a few bogus objectives. Fast and light vehicles will be very important in covering and securing these goals.