Scipio

I do also think that the ambush command does work like Gyrene said even if you target the point of the ambush marker.

When an enemy unit comes close to that marker your ambushing unit unhides and fires even if the ambushee does not "stumble" directly over the marker.

I just tried to recreate the situation with the editor, Scipio.

I used an HMG team and a HQ unit as ambushers and it seems like the ambush is sprung(?) if an enemy unit enters an area of approximately 30m around the marker.

Looks like you are correct, you can not cover an large area with a single ambush marker.

I understand what you are asking for, Scipio, and I realize that what I am about to suggest isn't the same thing nor as useful as what you seek. But...

A kind of work around that might help ease your tactical problem if you have the manpower to implement it would be to have several squads/teams, each targeting a separate ambush marker. These markers could be spaced 50-60 meters apart. Anything that crosses this line of markers will get shot at. If you have enough squads/teams and enough markers, you can place them close enough so that a crossing unit will trigger more than one ambusing unit.

Probably the best we can do for now.

:(

Michael

[ 04-15-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

I also would like to see an area being able to be secured. Presently the target area is nice but not as realisic as secure area would be. I never once was ordered to target an area, it was always an area. I realize that we don't want a hundred different commands in the game but I for one would be willing to give up the present target area command for secure area one. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

Yes, that's the way I do it now - when I have enough troops availabel. But when is this the case? :rolleyes:

With my idea, I could cover a larger area with less troops. I could build overlapping fire angles...all the good stuff that was teached in military service. That would give much more flexibility to the whole game.

Generally, IMO is the ambush-command not good. An ambush is a trap, and it's the nature of a trap that it works only if someone moves directly into it, and that's only possible if their's not much place to manoeuver. But it's only a lottery in open country. In a battle, I placed three ambushmarkers, but the opponent passed them in short distance. The ambush failed, to enemy reached cover terrain and the whole muck had cost me a whole platoon :(<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course the other alternative is not to use ambush markers at all in this situation, but to trust the AI to handle things. In practice, this is what I invariably do and it usually works out okay for me. Of course there is always a risk that your guys will take it in their heads to start popping shots at something not of interest to you and give their positions away. One thing that might help with that is to carefully position your troops so that they only (or at least mostly) have LOS to the area you want secured. Smoke, if you have it and no more pressing need for it, can be of help here.

Michael