Where's the best place to get a real time game going?

I am new to playing human to human meaning I've never done it before and don't even know where to begin. Have you played before and if so how did you first learn what and why and how to go about it, if you don't mind me asking. Seems like it's something only a computer wise guy can figure out but I don't even know enough to know if that's true. Any info you have would be appreciated. I tried going to the chat room but couldn't even figure out how to do that. Might be a hopeless case.

Originally posted by lcm1947:

I am new to playing human to human meaning I've never done it before and don't even know where to begin. Have you played before and if so how did you first learn what and why and how to go about it, if you don't mind me asking. Seems like it's something only a computer wise guy can figure out but I don't even know enough to know if that's true. Any info you have would be appreciated. I tried going to the chat room but couldn't even figure out how to do that. Might be a hopeless case.

Playing PBEM or TCP is like owning a 2nd. Game of Combat Mission. There is no comparison to playing a single player game. The tension and surprises that are found in each game vs. a human player is what keeps me coming back for more.

The mechanics of playing are straight forward, once you have the hang of it, they become simple. PBEM procedure is usually, Player A. creates the game file (this should be done after an agreement of parameters and force type) Usually a couple of quick e-mails will do). Player A then sends the setup file to player B. Player B sets up or purchases troops (depending on if human vs. computer purchase was chosen, human purchase in almost all the games I have played). Player B then returns the file to player A and so on. Each player will have an action turn file then watch a movie file. Procedure starts again.

TCP is even easier. Parameters are agreed upon in a chat room, ICQ, telephone or by e-mail with a meeting time set. Combat Mission will provide you with your IP address at the TCP connection screen. If you are using Windows you may use your Start menu to find your IP address also. Go to “Start”, “Run” then type “Winipcfg” this will provide you with your IP address.

Once you enter the game the setup phase is in progress. A game-turn timer may be running (optional) if so the command “alt-p” will disable the timer if both players agree and use the command. I have found it is customary to disable the game turn timer during the setup phase if it is in use. After setup and go is pushed the game begins and runs just like a single player game. Be prepared for some difficult and tense moments, as playing vs. human can be very exciting!

[This message has been edited by Abbott (edited 03-18-2001).]

Thanks Abbott for the info. I am printing it out and will see if I can get started. Looks like the first thing I need to do is get somebody to play against. If you don't mind babysitting me through it would you be interested? I realize this isn't the proper place to discuss this so if you are interested please email me at lcm1947@yahoo.com and maybe we could play, that is if you arent't already playing someone. But thanks for replying never the less.