No smoking?

This may not be a new topic, but it's new to me. What's up with smoke? In some standard scenarios the computer's tanks will spew smoke when they're in trouble. In Quick Battles that never happens.

Even worse, I can never get either my artillery or tanks to follow orders on smoke rounds. They're just ignored. Smoke was--still is--an important tactical weapon. Is this a bug, or are all the CM designers from California?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brujay:

In some standard scenarios the computer's tanks will spew smoke when they're in trouble. In Quick Battles that never happens.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Stuart just popped smoke rounds in a TCP/IP QB not even 15 minutes ago, it saved him from 2 dreaded flak wagons... My mortar teams are heavy smokers. How many QB's have you played?

You may also know that the TacAI prioritizes its fire in esoteric ways sometimes - so if you ordered it to lay down smoke for (i.e.)an open ground crossing - you might be vetoed in favor of an advancing AFV or perhaps, an off map field kitchen...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is this a bug, or are all the CM designers from California?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhhh, front row seats ... Do I have time to grab an iced latté? [looks around]..decent tickets guys...

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife ]

One irritating thing is if the following happens. You order a tank to fire smoke and then advance under its own smoke cover. It retargets to something useless, and thereby forgets its smoke order. But it moves anyway, though without the cover of the smoke it was supposed to have fired.

Once again, units should remember area fire orders and revert to them after switching to opportunity targets.

Even better, in the bananaland CM of the future movement orders could be issuable subject to certain conditions like:

Move when smoke appears around a certain point, or move when a certain other units reaches a certain point. This is probably hard to code and put into a useable interface, but it would resemble RL more.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes

My Stuart just popped smoke rounds in a TCP/IP QB not even 15 minutes ago, it saved him from 2 dreaded flak wagons...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yah, the lit-tal bas-taard. Ve vill get him later tonight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElGuapo:

Yah, the lit-tal bas-taard. Ve vill get him later tonight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roight then, Fritz! You'll have to pardon the plethora of smoldering Pumas - all that smoke must make it hard to see... i guess that Sd Kfz 7/2 must be getting rawther lonely, old boy...