Just a Little Something About FoW...

...that's been bugging me for some time:

Whenever an Allied tank becomes quasi-identified you'll get something like "Sherman?" or "Tank Destroyer?" and the grey omni-shape morphs into said tanks possible shape. Yet when it's a German tank, almost every time you get the "Tiger?" ID and the corresponding image of said beastie.

Now, I know Allied tankers liked to call every German tank spotted a Tiger, but in game terms this has a rather detrimental effect: If a Sherman ID's a Tiger it will cease targeting, pop smoke, and back off most ricky-tick. Yet the self-same MkIV (which is what it usually turns out to be) has no problem firing on those obscured "Shermans?" and "Tank Destroyers?".

I've had several perfectly good ambushes, and even multi-tank targetings, broken up this way. Seems all the German has to do is maintain his tank in some sort of cover at range, and if the Allies can't get a confirmed spotting, he's got it made.

Hmmm. Can't say I've ever had my armor turn tail like that, but then, I don't give the Germans all that much armor. I have had the "Tiger?" ID pop up a number of times though without having my Shermans chicken out.

What experience level are your tankers? Mine have usually been regular with an occasional veteran.

Michael

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

What experience level are your tankers? Mine have usually been regular with an occasional veteran.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here.

Two instances I can think of lately were during the "Chambois" scenario and a 2000 pt all-armor ME. Usually at ranges of around 500m, and where it's unlikely any friendly unit with a decent spotting ability can get close.

Personally, I like my tank commanders using good tactics and backing off during a confrontation with a possible Tiger. Those German Tigers were tough. I think thats why I like to play as the Americans in this game. Your going up against the best. It takes a high velocity shell up the ass of most German tanks to kill them and that makes the game all that more challenging. A tank commander who pops smoke and backs away lives to fight in a another minute or so. A victory like that feels really good.

Well, if they were actually Tigers, I wouldn't mind it either.

Strangely enough (this happened after my original message), it's happening right now in a PBEM I'm playing: Two MkIV's sitting in a road some 250m from my nearest spotting unit (a buttoned Sherman on the other side of a ridge). Now, if I had an ID on 'em as MkIV's I'd hunt up to the crest of the ridge and try for a shot. As it is, I can only sit and wait for a better ID...

Hey, this works both ways and to BTS' credit seems to take into account the silhouettes of the respective vehicles. It would appear that PZ IVs can be be misidentified as Tigers because they have blocky armor. I have personnally been suckered into firing on a tank identified as a Panther and ended up losing my 17pdr because the tank was really a King Tiger. Slope-armored tanks look alike it would seem as well.