150mm Rockets lay ing smoke?

In a game designed to play against the AI the German had some 150mm Nebelwerfer (sp?) rockets, and the AI used them to lay a smoke barrage. This seems to be unrealistic to me. Were not these rockets loaded with a kind of overpressure bomb in the warhead? Seem to recall reading that when they blew the effects were something like that. Anyway it is bizzare to have them rain smoke down all over.

confused.gif

[This message has been edited by Dirtweasle (edited 03-26-2001).]

According to German Military Glossary:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jabo3rdfj/3rdFallschirmjager/Debriefing/Glossary.html

Nebelwerfer: Rocket Artillery. "Nebelwerfer" was originally a term for a chemical smoke mortar. The Nebel units were subsequently used for the rocket artillery when these weapons appeared -- 1) since chemical warfare was not being waged and 2) as a deception to hide the appearance of a new weapon from enemy espionage -- and for a while (1941 particularly) a Nebel unit could either be a 10-cm chemical mortar unit or a rocket artillery unit.

Would continue the search.

I think smoke rounds usually contains white phosphorus rather than "overpressure bomb in warhead".

If there is any error, please correct.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Get the CMSOD at Combat Missing Command Post (CMCP) at http://www.angelfire.com/games3/CMCP/

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 03-26-2001).]

I have noticed the tendency of the AI to dump artillery smoke all over my side at the first sign of of better tank or if a manuevering element of mine is getting the upper hand on it. I for one, am glad that the AI does that, I'd rather wait a couple of turns in the smoke than live thru a barrage of HE. But I agree that it seems like kind of a waste of Arty rounds when the HE would have served the AI better in the long run.

It maybe unrealistic. I'm not sure how frequent calls for Arty smoke were.

I agree, it can be a waste of ammo slots if done wrong.

My question though is if the 150mm Nebelwerfer Rockets modeled in this game could be capabale of even delivering smoke. In other words is it historically accurate for this game to have 150mm rockets fire smoke?

I cannot find a definitive answer. One source I have claims that HE was used exclusively. Another says: "It had a range of 7,330 yards with high explosive and 7,750 yards with smoke shells. The rockets weighed 75.3 pounds for HE and 78 pounds for smoke." Tendering shell weights and ranges for smoke ammunition would at least imply that the author has a source for that information, but those things could exist without ever having left the proving grounds. I suppose we'll have to search out references to field use.

Dirtweasle wrote:

My question though is if the 150mm Nebelwerfer Rockets modeled in this game could be capabale of even delivering smoke.

Well, given that "Nebelwerfer" translates literally to "fog thrower" I would be very surprised if it couldn't.

- Tommi

Originally posted by Gyrene:

I have noticed the tendency of the AI to dump artillery smoke all over my side at the first sign of of better tank or if a manuevering element of mine is getting the upper hand on it. I for one, am glad that the AI does that, I'd rather wait a couple of turns in the smoke than live thru a barrage of HE. But I agree that it seems like kind of a waste of Arty rounds when the HE would have served the AI better in the long run.

It maybe unrealistic. I'm not sure how frequent calls for Arty smoke were.

Yeah I've seen where this happens where the AI just continuously pelted a town with smoke for a good 10 turn or more. I thought they'd never quit. I think they were trying to keep my immobolized Panther from shooting at some Shermans. I tried sneaking a PzIV, I think, through the smoke to take out one of their immobilized Shermans, but it got waxed by another one.

Yes there was a smoke round for the 150mm rocket - 15cm Wurtgranate 41 w Kh Nebel.

Don't know if there was one for the 21 & 30cm launchers or not, but the 28/32cm launcer did NOT have one.

FWIW a previous poster noted that the original Nebelwerfer was a mortar - it was a very complicated 10cm affair intended to throw smoke as its main role. It turned into a very useful HE weapon with a range of over 6000m. However it was extremely expensive to make - more a light artillery piece at RM14,000 as opposed to RM 1500 for a more conventional 10cm mortar.