Royal Marines in CM?

I know very little of the RM's actions in WWII except that you seldom hear anything about them.

How many were active in WWII and what CM CW units can be used to represent them? Are there any RM scenarios available?

The Royal Marines have a very good reputation in the USMC, and even some shared battle history together, although not in WWII.

Gyrene

Taken from ROYAL MARINES official page

"Origins can be traced back to the formation of the first commando units. These units were formed in 1940, at the request of Winston Churchill in a call for “specially trained troops of the hunter class, who can develop a reign of terror down on these (enemy occupied) coasts”.

First Royal Marine Commando named RM “A” Commando (now 40 Commando Royal Marines) was formed on Valentine’s Day 1942.

In 1943 these commandos were grouped into brigades and 102 RM Brigade was formed.

102 RM Brigade was later renamed 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines, having spent time under the title of 3 Special Service Brigade.

During the D-Day Royal Marines manned landings two thirds of the landing craft and 5 RM Commando Units also took part.

At the end of World War Two the Army Commandos were disbanded and the commando role was taken on fully by the Royal Marines."

The only scenario I have found them represented is the Saint Nazaire operation by Ski ( Teamski@flexnet.co.uk). They are represented as Elite airborne and engineers.

One of my first history books was "Commando", by Peter Young. A real must in the subject -though only covered their first years-.

Regards.

Hello

Besides manning landing craft during D-Day the RMs also went ashore with 95mm Centaurs (and some command Shermans) to offer fire support. Originally they were only suppose to support the landings but they actually fought their way inland before being withdrawn and returned to England. RM tanks can easily IDed because they painted degree marking on their turrets.

Later

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mccooper:

[QB]Hello

RM tanks can easily IDed because they painted degree marking on their turrets.

/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Centaur with degree marking can been seen nowadays at Benouville(Pegasus Bridge).

But what was the purpose of these degree marking :confused:?

it would be fun to have just one more British force type to fight with (maybe more SMGs- LOL), however, my limited understanding of the Royal Marines places them primarily in the Mediterranean Theatre. As others have noted, they were present during Overlord, but not in significant numbers "beyond" that, as the conflict moved closer to the landlocked center of The Continent. i guess this would be filed in the same folder as "U.S. Rangers in CMBO" (not to imply that the two groups were similar, just that BTS didn't feel the need to represent them). maybe in CM3, i hope. I assembled a Royal Marine uniform mod (based on pictures) solely for my own usage - it looks nice with the recent Beach Conversion mod.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xavier:

But what was the purpose of these degree marking :confused:?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To assist their use in idirect fire support. The tanks could parallel themselves against each other by comparing the markings, then fire as an ad-hoc SP Bty.

BTW: no, I don't think tanks firing indirect should be in CM...

JonS