some mortar OBA observations

Did a test:

81 mm

Better troops fire faster. There is not a lot of difference between a HQ fed LOS and a direct LOS.

FFE's arrive about the same.

C & C of vet + troops does not seem to matter, accuracy is about the same.

TRP's add NO difference to accuracy.

Don't worry too much about mortars being in C&C fron an accuracy point of view. From a survival point of view HQ LOS's are a good deal smile.gif

OBA ( I used 105)

Better units fire faster.

HQ fed LOS is slower than direct LOS. ie time on target

Either as a result of C&C OR direct LOS ( I'm not sure) vet + observors seem to fire in a thinner CA widthwise, lengthwise error seems to be about the same as regular direct fire LOS.

Vet + observors with direct LOS with or without C & C have a better drop zone than lesser units widthwise. Crossing the T with two OBA's should give a disernable X pattern.

From a health POV "HQ fed LOS" is a good deal but not as good as the mortar one.

QUALITY MATTERS.

TRP's add very little to accuracy.

Hope this is of some use in your next game(s)

eric

:cool:

Cauldron said:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>81 mm (on-board)

TRP's add NO difference to accuracy.<hr></blockquote>

For on-board mortars, TRPs only have 1 real effect. If a mortar hasn't moved, it can use indirect fire (i.e., no LOS of its own) at the TRP without needing to be in C&C.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>OBA ( I used 105)

HQ fed LOS is slower than direct LOS. ie time on target<hr></blockquote>

If the FO has no LOS himself, the time before FFE starts is about double the number listed in the info box, regardless of C&C. That's for regular FOs. Higher quality FOs have somewhat shorter times, and vice versa, but doubling the starting number shown is still a good rule of thumb.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Either as a result of C&C OR direct LOS ( I'm not sure) vet + observors seem to fire in a thinner CA widthwise, lengthwise error seems to be about the same as regular direct fire LOS.<hr></blockquote>

Hmmmm. In my testing, it appears that if an FO has an LOS, he shoots a tight pattern with most of the shells falling within an area 120m E-W by 50m N-S (slightly bigger for mortar FOs). If he lacks an LOS, the pattern is about 220m E-W by 120m N-S (again slightly bigger for mortars). This doesn't seem to be affected by C&C or FO quality.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Vet + observors with direct LOS with or without C & C have a better drop zone than lesser units widthwise. Crossing the T with two OBA's should give a disernable X pattern.<hr></blockquote>

I'm afraid impact patterns are always oriented with their long axes E-W. The direction of the FO's LOS to the target has no effect on this. So you can't make an X with 2 FOs shooting at the same target. If both were aimed at the same point, you'd get the same size and shape pattern as if only 1 FO was shooting, but it would have twice as many shells in it.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>From a health POV "HQ fed LOS" is a good deal but not as good as the mortar one.<hr></blockquote>

Seems to me that having an FO in C&C only affects the time it takes for the FFE to start.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>TRP's add very little to accuracy.<hr></blockquote>

As mentioned above, if an FO lacks an LOS, he shoots a much wider pattern than if he has an LOS. However, if the blind FO shoots at a TRP, he gets the smaller, LOS-type pattern. So in that case, a TRP has a substantial effect on accuracy.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stixx:

Using a HQ with "Combat" command bonuses seems to help accuracy for me.

Maybe i'm just dreaming it, i haven't done any real tests but it works for me.<hr></blockquote>

I'e found that using a HQ with a command bonus is particularly handy for mortars (when the HQ unit is up at the sharp end). You can move them back quite far to avoid having a target that's at less than the mortars' minimum range.

Paul

Quote:

If the FO has no LOS himself, the time before FFE starts is about double the

number listed in the info box, regardless of C&C. That's for regular FOs. Higher

quality FOs have somewhat shorter times, and vice versa, but doubling the

starting number shown is still a good rule of thumb.

-> True, it seems to be roughly double when the ETA is still in minutes, and is exactly double once it goes to seconds, such that 2 seconds of movie clock time pass for each 1 second of the ETA.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cauldron:

Don't worry too much about mortars being in C&C fron an accuracy point of view. From a survival point of view HQ LOS's are a good deal smile.gif

eric

:cool: [/QB]<hr></blockquote>

My personal impression is that combat bonuses do aid accuracy a little, this impression being derived from my exp. with the pitiful 2" mortar. Every round has to be bang on with a 2" in order to inflict damage, and a combat bonus does seem to make a slight difference.

In a current game I had 3 2" under the command of a combat+2 HQ shelling a section in a one storey heavy building. Most of the rounds landed right on target and the building actually collapsed at the start of the next round(He he, bye bye, mot. squad) , not bad for blast 6!

With regards to F.O's, I've experimented with the green German 81mm F.O in 'Chance Encounter', and a combat bonus definitely seemed to make a difference to the spread. Perhaps this is less so with exp. F.O's.