Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Russian light tanks vs. German light tanks

Well I don't really know how to ask but dose anyone know the major differences other then that fact that they are made by different countries? Also how did the Russian light tanks fare agast the German light tanks... ie the Pz MkI and IIs.

Generally speaking the Russian light tanks seemed to be better armed with a larger caliber main gun. However I don't think it is the hardware that made German panzer units superior to Russian units. It was the widespread use of radios in German tanks and training that yielded superior crews. Then again the better tactical coordination of armor, airpower, and infantry gave the Germans the fighting edge.

MikeT

One thing you realy notice with the germans if you're using soemthing like the TH CAL rules for a "recon" battle is the lack of good german light vehicles.

the allied stuarts are just too tough for the 20mm a/c's and Lynx to handle, and you generally don't get a lot of Puma's (quite rightly too!).

I suspect it will be similar in CMBB - the Russians will ahve a range of light tanks, some of which are quite heavily armed & armoured (eg T70 and T70A), but also lighter ones down to MG carriers (T-40) filling a wider range of roles than the Germans can.

This doesnt realy apply to the thread in the truest sense but it's interesting as it was an comparison of an 'Light' tank vs an Medium tank.

An Soviet 1941 report on the BT-7, compared it to the PzKpfw III (37mm) & reported the BT-7 was basicly an even match in performance, with the PzKpfw III, with the PzKpfw III haveing an edge in optics, 3 man turret crew & radios.

Regards, John Waters

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: PzKpfw 1 ]