Red Star Ladder™, a proposal

The thesis is that, in the future, the CM community needs an additional kind of ladder. This ladder would feature random settings and provide automated match-ups. There are some games out now, admittedly geared to different gaming mindsets, like Warcraft 3, the Papyrus Nascar series, the upcoming Rise of Nations, among others, that deliver superb MP capabilities.

They are, of course, chiefly conducted over proprietary servers.

Lately, I’ve been toying around random battles against the AI and it struck me what a rich, untapped arena this is for simmers seeking MP. These are with every parameter set to random including nationalities, terrain, weather, quality, date, rarity and type of engagement. The format excludes only the fitness variable. The default length and size would be smallish, say 800 points and 25 turns, but these would be open to negotiation by the- randomly assigned- opponents. The mode of play is, ideally, TCP/IP.

I’m currently a member of the Rugged Defense ladder and I find the battles, though usually fun, tend to be limited by recurring force mixes, engagement types (MEs), and other repeating parameters like quality (always regular) and weather. This phenomenon, as previously posted by yours truly, is due to the competitive nature of the participants and the temptations of the Purchase Screen which encourages constant resort to the old standbys. There’s nothing wrong with that but I think another format, the random option, has its- potential- allure, as well. The new format would, IMHO, take CM multiplayer to new levels of interest and excitement.

OBJECTIONS:

1- Some of the battles spewed out by the computer are damned unfair!

Besides providing, on the whole (IMO) more plausible and interesting force combinations the PC does a pretty good job of balancing things. Sometimes, sure, there’ll be a treeless expanse to cross- with Italians or partisans- in the face of MG fire. Other times you’ll end up attacking with ’41 conscript Russians at night, but it’s doable and these things happened IRL. Not every battle will be finely balanced, the player will be stretched. Some- few in my experience- will be hopeless. The key is fast turnover. The matches will be short and luck evens out over time. In return you get variety, challenge, and the thrill of the unexpected.

2- Who wants to play with beginners or with that jerk .......

There would be a filter system incorporated in the players profile that would limit opponents to certain rank and exclude, uh, undesirables. Just like Warcraft 3. Of course, this takes times as the better players are sorted out. Other than that, the website assigns the match ups after you log on and away you go.

3- The way it works now, a player can see what he gets from the computer and ‘reroll’ the result!

This is the killer objection. This is why we call it a ‘future proposal’. Right now, when Automatic Select is chosen, CM doesn’t default to the send turn screen but drops the player on the map with his Kampfgruppe. BFC needs to fix this in future versions.

Other than that, all we'll need is someone with a server and plenty of free time. It wouldn't replace but complement the other ladders.Personally, I think it would be a gas. Any thoughts?

[ May 15, 2003, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: PeterX ]

Thanks, for responding to my proposal, Spookster. You were the only one in two forums. (Sob) I guess this idea didn't resonate with the community like I aniticpated.

And, yes, its succesful implementation depends on BFC tweaking the PBEM routine.

Pete,

I think the idea is great, but it is my experience that "competitive" players (i.e. those who play to win) like to manipulate all elements of the game to maximize their ability to win. If you introduce a random element, they get flustered.

That said, your idea will be a big hit among those who play for the "historic enjoyment" of the game and those who play strictly for fun.

-Spookster

Spookster posted:

I think the idea is great, but it is my experience that "competitive" players (i.e. those who play to win) like to manipulate all elements of the game to maximize their ability to win. If you introduce a random element, they get flustered.

The battle format at the Warcraft 3 MP site is exclusively random. Additionally, this ladder would co-exist with the other ones. Those who want to stage MEs with Stugs and T34s ad nauseum can still do so. Once the players get over their prejudices and try Auto Select, IMO, they won't go back (when it's fixed for MP). Another advantage with random forces and automated match-ups is that you eliminate a lot of the time consuming negotiations and cherry picking preceding the match.

CM is still in the formative stage, MP-wise. BFC should acquire their own servers- Madmatt can supervise the affair.

Peter