CMII assault/attack/probe flag placement

xerxes

I think one of the things that makes assault/attacks/probes favor the attacker is the flag placement. Basically the defender is FORCED to defend some artificial location when in reality they are trying to hold the general area. The exact hill, copse of woods, whatever is irrelevant.

How about an option where the defender gets to place the VL flags? The only restriction would be that the flags couldn't be too close together. Probes would have more of the smaller flags, assaults would have the fewest flags and mostly the large ones, attacks in between.

There would have to be some other restrictions on placement but defender placement would allow the defender to choose where to defend which is part of the natural advantage of being a defender.

-marc

Good point, Xerxes.

But I think it's kind of difficult to implement correctly. How do you prevent the "gamey" use of placing VLs? Like, "Hmm, OK, you have to take this plain area in front of my positions so I can slaugher you..."

Maybe the defender could place some VLs and the attacker wouöld choose 2 or three of them to be the "real VLs"? Kind of non-static Vls in QB...

And I think in WW2 many commanders (especially Germans and Russians) were ordered to defend pratically undefendable terrain.

"But we cannot defend here, the russians will just roll over us! We need to fall back a few miles so we can use the river as an obstacle!"

"You have your orders! Not one step back..."

Something like this...

I agree with you that the defender should have more influence on where and what to defend.

I would already be happy if mines and barb wire would be much cheaper so I could strengthen my defenses this way.

But placing them in a terrible location (i.e. plain ground in front of great defensive positions) isn't bad. It basically says you have to take and hold the defensible positions that can fire on the flag in order to win the game. Taking those positions should be the attackers goal.

But yes, I could see "gamey" placements like clustering them all in one location, placing them in a corner of the map, etc. There would have to be some restrictions on flag placement, but I think these could be pretty minimal.

I was thinking of having the attacker place a couple flags but the attacker would put them in absurd places that the defender can't possibly defend.

I'd also like to see much better ME flag placement. One flag in the middle of the map seems a little goofy. I'd like to see a better spread of flags. Maybe having both players place a couple flags in a ME within a central "flag placement" location would work. I'm uncertain about how this would work out.

-marc