Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Rarity in CM2 tying into troop quality as well?

I think tying rarity to troop quality for infantry units (all units?) would be an excellent way to handle the historical availability of troops for all sides during the different months of the war. Example: better quality troops would be available to the Soviets in 1941 but at an appropriate rarity cost. Tying in rarity with unit quality may work well for this.

Tiger

Tie it in with rarity. In other words use the rarity system to determine whether or not the quality troops are available in the first place for purchasing and if so, have the rarity cost applied as per tanks and vehicles.

Tiger

Guest Andrew Hedges

I think it would be really hard to determine these numbers, and you'd eventually have to just make something up. It's not like there are hard and fast numbers the way that there are for vehicles.

Having said that though, I would prefer a QB system that somehow uses historical troops -- that is, if I have a QB in July 1941, I would like for the battle to be somewhat representative of battles at this time. Maybe using troop rarity factors is the best way to implement that, or maybe there's some other way to regulate this. Maybe there would be a "historical troops" option that would be separate from vehicle rarity factors but would model historical troops.

So if you selected a "regular" soviet infantry company in 1941, it wouldn't be made up of what we think of as regular troops; instead it would be made up of "Regular 7/41" Soviet troops...which might be the equivalent of mostly Green troops, with a couple of squads of Regular and a squad or so of conscripts mixed in, but with a higher than normal fanaticism level, maybe.

I do think it's important to keep in mind that even green, inexperienced soviet troops fought bravely, and while they were uncoordinated on the attack, they didn't flee from the battlefield or give up an attack after taking just a few causualties, the way that CMBO green troops will.

So, IMO, CM2 should take both of these considerations into account.

Maybe this could be folded into the "1941 Pattern Squad" or whatever those troops are called.

Check out this thread.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/015592.html

In it, I proposed the following.

"Well, I started a similar thread on c.s.i.p.g.war-historical. I think BTS should incorporate unit experience in the rarity equation. That is to say, an elite Volksturm is very rare, but perhaps an elite SS platoon not so rare. So the cost of infantry type, as well as vehicles, should be based on rarity (rifle 41s more common than Pioneers). Furthermore, you're more likely to see a crack SS troop so the cost in going from vet to crack within the SS infantry type should not be as great in going from vet to crack in a rifle 41 platoon say. Yet, since the SS was more rare, a crack SS platoon will still cost more than a rifle 41 platoon.

All this for when you BYO troops. Computer purchased troops would probably work better with the probability that someone posted on c.s.i.p.g.w-h (and I think alluded to above).

All IMHO of course."

Is that what you're talking about? If so, I never got a reply from BTS, so...