D-Day

Could someone quickly answer this question...What does the D in D-Day actually stand for? There's a dinner riding on the answer.

Thanks in advance.

------------------

"I'm the Quarterback. I make the plays. You back the plays I make." -Harvey Keitel to his adopted son in the movie "Dusk til Dawn" (about 3 hours before they're both ripped apart and eaten alive by vampires)

D-Day means? Well I gess I could tell you. It has something to do with a unknown date I beleve correct me if I am wrong thougth guys.The D has no real meaning anway.

[This message has been edited by Rob/1 (edited 01-01-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gremlin:

"Day"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If thats the case Gremlin then it should be Day-Day hehe

I know, which is why that always sounded odd to me, but I've heard that many times, and essentially it's correct, it seems smile.gif

------------------

War is cruel and you cannot refine it. --Sherman

[This message has been edited by Gremlin (edited 01-01-2001).]

that link is intresting....hay what that on the front porch? Ah a tank destroyer!

The D has meaning; it just doesn't stand for anything. Its meaning is that it is the target date for commencement of an operation. If an op is scheduled for June 6, then June 6 is D-Day. If the op kicks off at 0630 then 0630 is H-Hour.

So why?

Because in training, joe infantry isn't told what D-day is. But he knows that by D+3 or H+6 he has to be at a certain place.

------------------

Is "patheti-sad" a word?

The "D" in D-Day stands for "designated."

D-Day, or the Designated-Day, is both a general term (pardon the pun) for the unspecified day when a military operation or offensive is to be launched. I did a bit of searching and this is the answer according to Stephen E. Ambrose in his book "D-Day."

Hope this helps. Lemme know how the dinner goes.

------------------

"D-Day was a nightmare. Even now it brings pain to recall what happened there on June 6, 1944. I have returned many times to honorthe valiant men who died on that beach. They should never be forgotten. Nor should those who lived to carry the day by the slimmest of margins. Every man who set foot on Omaha Beach that day was a hero."

General Omar Bradley-

[This message has been edited by Sgt Schulz (edited 01-01-2001).]

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier,

D stood for Day as in Day-Day. Think like this: The Day=Day-Day. Such as H-Hour:

Hour-Hour=The Hour. (ex. We move out at H-hour {lets say thats 0600} and at D-Day plus 3 {June 9})......

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

After reading the General's post I wanted to do some more digging and found the official facts at army.mil here you go.....

What does the "D" signify in D-Day, and the "H" signify in H-Hour?

The terms D-day and H-hour are used for the day and hour on which a combat attack or operation is to be initiated. They designate the day and hour of the operation when the day and hour have not yet been determined, or where secrecy is essential. The letters are derived from the words for which they stand, "D" for the day of the invasion and "H" for the hour operations actually begin. There is but one D-day and one H-hour for all units participating in a given operation. It is unnecessary to state that H-hour is on D-day.

When used in combination with figures and plus or minus signs, these terms indicate the length of time preceding or following a specific action. Thus, H-3 means 3 hours before H-hour, and D+3 means 3 days after D-day. H+75 minutes means H-hour plus 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Planning papers for large-scale operations are made up in detail long before specific dates are set. Thus, orders are issued for the various steps to be carried out on the D-day or H-hour minus or plus a certain number or days, hours, or minutes. At the appropriate time, a subsequent order is issued that states the actual day and times.

The earliest use of these terms by the U.S. Army that the Center of Military History has been able to find was during World War I. In Field Order Number 9, First Army, American Expeditionary Forces, dated September 7, 1918: "The First Army will attack at H hour on D day with the object of forcing the evacuation of the St. Mihiel Salient."

D-day for the invasion of Normandy was set for June 6, 1944, and that date has been popularly referred to by the short title "D-day."

Source: The General Service Schools, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, Combat Orders (Fort Leavenworth, Kansas: The General Service Schools Press, 1922).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------

"D-Day was a nightmare. Even now it brings pain to recall what happened there on June 6, 1944. I have returned many times to honor the valiant men who died on that beach. They should never be forgotten. Nor should those who lived to carry the day by the slimmest of margins. Every man who set foot on Omaha Beach that day was a hero."

General Omar Bradley-

Guest Lord General MB

Sir,

Hey good work there! Always neat to get the full story. Thanks for clearing up this post... I guess it's back to the cesspool for osme of us....(not ME).

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army