Wussy AMI Morter men

I had 3 60mm mortar crews in perfect position away from the front targeting a cluster of germans including 2 half tracks and a Stug3 (didnt expect anything there). I watched in anticipation of breaking up their attack when each crew shot only one round in the turn. Fortunately the germans did not move so I tried again in the next round. Same result. This occured one more round before the germans moved off and I lost my opportunity. Can anybody explain what is up with this. I think one crew was green and the other two were regulars.

I tried to get a leader over there to shoot the jerks only to get blasted by a Tiger in route. For now on I am only playing the germans. They know how to fight.

- Hobo

Maybe they couldn't see them themselves. 1 round sounds like they were firing their spotting rounds. The mortars need to either see the target themselves, or have a HQ unit near them (close enough for the red "in command" lines) that can see the target to correct their fire. Sounds to me like they fired the spotting rounds, and neither they nor any immediate commander saw where they landed and went off.

The best way to use the on-map mortars is to place them behind a ridge, in woods, or behind a building or group of buildings, with the position they are behind one with good fields of view. Then put their platoon HQ, or a company or higher HQ, at the wood line or crest or in the buildings, preferably sneaking it there. The HQ can see things but will generally be out of range and won't give itself away by firing. If the HQ has a combat bonus, the fire will also be somewhat more effective.

Then the HQ spots and you pick targets it can see. Understand, these guys do not have radios. They cannot get firing directions from some seperate machinegunner half-way across the battlefield. Their HQ ahead of them has to see the target himself. His command distance (red lines) represents him calling out fire directions or sending a runner, etc.

When the mortars fire, the HQ sees where the shells land and calls out corrections to them - that happens automatically if the mortars are "in command" and the HQ can see the spot where the shell landed.

Incidentally, the best target for light mortars is infantry in the open or in woods. They are much less effective against vehicles, though they might hurt unarmored trucks and the like. Even with thin, open-topped halftracks you are counting on a lucky direct hit inside to do anything. A light mortar round is basically the explosive power of a hand grenade, just thrown a long way.

I hope this helps.

Originally posted by jasoncawley@ameritech.net:

Maybe they couldn't see them themselves. 1 round sounds like they were firing their spotting rounds.

I don't think CM models spotting rounds. Are you sure the Germans didn't move at all? If they did, your mortars may have had time for one shot, then the Germans moved out of sight.

They are much less effective against vehicles, though they might hurt unarmored trucks and the like. Even with thin, open-topped halftracks you are counting on a lucky direct hit inside to do anything.

Also, the chance of mortars knocking out vehicles was reduced somewhat in CM 1.1.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 01-12-2001).]

I've seen this too (in beta 24). I had 3 US 60mm mortars within command range of their HQ, who had LOS to stationary targets. The mortars would each fire one round only. The next turn I would have to give them the same target again, and they'd just fire one round each again.

-Enfors-

I forgot to mention that one of the "spotting" rounds nailed a half track. They were cowards, but they could shoot.

They did have LOS on the spotting rounds. The mortors were on a hill a long ways from the battlefield (but within range) and had command over the entire area.

They were by themselves without a leader because that was the way they were originally setup by the scenario. I replayed the scenario and had a CPT run back to their position before the germans made it into view.

- Hobo

Actually the answer is quite easy. I am willing to bet you targetted a StuG. The Americans fired one shot, then realized a 60mm isn't going to do a thing to them, and quit firing. An area target on the ground would keep them firing. Try that and see what happens.

Rune