Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Can you play over LAN?

JOEY

can you play CM over LAN? or is it just over an internet connection? i have two macs with a LAN connection but i cant get either mac to find the ip address from the other mac. when i host on one mac it goes on the internet and gets an ip address then i try connecting the other mac over LAN and it cant find the ip address. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

It works fine over a LAN, if the LAN is running TCP/IP. I'm not a Mac person, but it sounds like you have two network adapters (one for the internet, and one for the LAN), and one is "bound" to TCP/IP, and the other is "bound" to AppleTalk. Since the LAN itself isn't using the TCP/IP protocol, you can't find the other computer.

Try "pinging" the other computer to see what happens. If you can ping it, but you can't connect with CM, then something is definitely wrong. But I'd bet money that you won't be able to ping it either. ("ping" is a simple program to test IP connections)

If your LAN can run TCP/IP (and you have two network adapters like I mentioned above), then you'll probably have to use the Chooser to configure your TCP/IP to use the network connection your LAN talks on, rather than the one you use for the internet. It will disable your internet access, but you can set it back when you are done playing CM. You might have to do this with both computers also. And I don't know if all Mac networks can run TCP/IP anyway, so it still might not work.

If you respond with more details about your system setup, someone else might be able to give you some better info. The only reason I know anything about this is because my wife uses a Powerbook at work, and she wanted to be able to access her email from our home LAN (the LAN is tied into the internet), rather than with a modem.

If you use Ethernet to connect to your LAN, then you can probably make it talk TCP/IP. If you use regular phone cable to connect to your LAN, then I dunno if you can run anything other than AppleTalk.

Anyway, good luck;

-Bret

You can only play over a LAN with your Macs if it is running on tcp/ip. You cannot play over an Appletalk network.

I play over my ethernet LAN im my office of iMacs, but you need to have a hub and configure your OpenTransport to operate as a tcp/ip network. Then you can find your IP address right in CM when you set up an internet game and tell it to the other person.