Odd AT gun behaviour

This afternoon I was playing a QB vs AI. AI was Axis unlimited, assaulting vs British infantry, village, moderate trees, small hills, light fog, 1,500 points.

I had stashed a 6pdr AT gun on a likely path of attack (pretty predictable with the AI, I know) and was horrified to see around a company of axis infantry running past the hidden gun. Although they passed within 60 metres of the gun, they didn't detect it.

However, a Panzershrek unit walked past a few seconds afterwards, at 65 metres. The AT gun targetted the shrek, missed, and rapidly became the target for the biggest concentration of lead outside the Warhammer 40k all comers wargaming convention.

So - any suggestions, guesses? WTF is going on? Are they MAD? Why is my 6pdr crew attacking a casually sauntering, oblivious Panzershrek, when they've just ignored 100 soldiers that are within sneezing distance?

Oh, and I drew. I took 50% losses, the other 50% made it off the board. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I think the TacAI considers AT teams very hot items. Any unit will target them if it has an opportunity. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Michael. I've had an infantry only force that insisted on targeting enemy AT teams even though there were more important (more dangerous) enemy units near by. This is why it is "gamey" to use your AT teams to draw fire. The TacAI just can't help targeting them over just about anything else. So yeah, it is a limitation of the TacAI that we just have to live with at least for now.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soddball:

This 'gamey' list gets longer and longer! I'm down to regular US infantry and trucks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so then in our game in being gamey because i had a M8 greyhound in unit that does not have the exact historic TO&E of a recon unit! i suppose you win then soddball, im just a gamey bastage.