German Combat Communications

Did the Germans have much in the way of Radios at the CM level ie:company, Battalion?

Or did they have to rely on runners. FWIH the Allies had reasonably reliable communications at the platoon/company level. What about the Germans? Paging Mr. Jason Crawley biggrin.gif

Guest Germanboy

Field-telephone (in prepared positions) and runners. The Commonwealth also did not have the same amount of wireless as the US had, I believe.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Originally posted by Germanboy:

Field-telephone (in prepared positions) and runners. The Commonwealth also did not have the same amount of wireless as the US had, I believe.

The Canadians had one radio per infantry company, sometimes as many as one per platoon. In action they were not entirely reliable, and land lines were also laid down between the companies and battalion HQ. I believe the standard practice was to abandon the cables once the unit moved on. There is a good book published privately called "A Backwards Glance", written by an infantry signaller in the Second Canadian Division that goes into a bit of detail about this. German signallers were also apparently quite good at jamming Allied frequencies. Not sure how it worked in reverse.