Weird: CM is torturing my processor even when choosing forces

I've playing CM on a laptop in which it is very easy to note if the processor has a high load. In ordinary use (such as editing or surfing) the fan is never on. When copying high amounts of data, running intensive floating-point calculations or showing 3D-graphics the fan turns on.

The really weird thing is this: when running CM the the processor is always running hot and the fan is on. Even when I'm choosing forces in a PBEM game (in which case there certainly is near to nothing to compute the fan is on. If I minimize CM, the computer cools and the fan turns off, when I resume it, the fan turns on again. And this really happens always, no exceptions! This makes absolutely no sense.

Now am I the only one with such a weird behaviour or has someone else experienced something like this?

I haven't had a problem with heat but a similar experience with power. Upgraded my father's video card and everything ran fine until we fired up CM. We could watch the intro and sometimes actually get to the first couple of screens. As soon as a scenario was selected, the PC would lock up or reboot. No problems with Word, Excel, Gettysburg or Antietam, but CM would just clobber the system. Finally figured out that his 230 watt power supply was just stretched to the max and CM was the straw that broke the camel's back. A new power supply solved the problem.

This game definetly puts your system through a work out!

Carl

i use CM as a quick stability test for new graphics drivers, overclocking etc. the reason why? - because i can have stuff like 3Dmark2000 running smoothly and CM is tearing up the screen. i know if CM works that its likely to be a stable setup. i've noticed that the editor screen in particular shows up graphical glitches on certain Nvidia beta drivers.

not just a game, a stability testing tool as well smile.gif

------------------

--------------------

-chuckle

I can very much relate with all that's been said here (concerning the heavy load that CM puts on your computer when in 3D mode), but I don't think I've been fully able to make you understand my point.

For me CM gets the computer heated even when not in 3D mode, for example when in the unit selection screen, or even the startup screen with just the few buttons. Now do you see what I mean when I'm saying that this really makes no sense.

[This message has been edited by Nabla (edited 03-23-2001).]

Guest ckoharik

Originally posted by Nabla:

I can very much relate with all that's been said here (concerning the heavy load that CM puts on your computer when in 3D mode), but I don't think I've been fully able to make you understand my point.

For me CM gets the computer heated even when not in 3D mode, for example when in the unit selection screen, or even the startup screen with just the few buttons. Now do you see what I mean when I'm saying that this really makes no sense.

[This message has been edited by Nabla (edited 03-23-2001).]

I've been running CM on various laptops since the November timeframe (Much better on Dell with 16MB ATI than Micron with 8MB. would love to see it on the new 32MB mobility chips). While I do not notice any real processor consumption when starting it I do hear the CD-ROM spool up. For giggles you should run one of those small processor usage trackers in the background, start up CM, choose some forces, and then bump out to see what your processor utilization is like.

Guest ckoharik

Originally posted by Muslim_Bob:

how can you people possibly play CM on a lap top?

[Windows 95/98/2000]

-Insert CD into drive.

-Run X:\setup.exe where X: is the letter for your CD-ROM drive.

-Select Full Installation and specify the location.

-One installed, Select Start->Program->Combat Mission Beyond Overlord->Combat Mission Beyond Overlord to play.

biggrin.gif

You asked for it! In reality I play on either a P3-750 with 256MB of RAM and an ATI 8M Mobility Pro adaptor or my personal P3-700/128MB/ATI 16MB system. Both have 15" screens that are very nice so it's really no problem at all. And, it keeps me from getting into CMBO withdrawals while traveling.