Mortars and LOS

Guest SS_Obergruppenführer

Guest SS_Obergruppenführer

I don't know about what you think, but I believe that mortars in CM/CM2 should be able to fire without LOS! I mean, in real battle mortars didn't usually see who they were firing at! Or did they...?

------------------

SLOVENIA- a prospering country for the European Union

Leg mortars (not vehicle mortars) can already fire without an LOS. If they are within the command radius of an HQ unit that does have an LOS, then the mortars can fire. Also, if you have a TRP and the mortars have not moved, I believe you can shoot the TRP blind even without an HQ unit handy.

Anyway, the HQ thing is a good use for company commanders. Put the mortars right behind some cover and move the HQ up so it can see through the cover. Then you're set. Only problem is, indirect on-map mortar fire doesn't track moving targets like direct fire does.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

I remember reading somewhere on this board that there was some trick (bug?) to getting an on-board mortar to indirectly fire at a UNIT as opposed to indirect AREA FIRE.

As I recall it was something where indirect fire on a UNIT would not work (despite positive target line), unless some specific mouse clicking was done.

Is that correct?

Is that as designed?

------------------

Steve of BTS - "With a company our size, every sale does in fact count (unlike every vote in certain assbackwards states :D)."

Originally posted by SS_Obergruppenführer:

I don't know about what you think, but I believe that mortars in CM/CM2 should be able to fire without LOS! I mean, in real battle mortars didn't usually see who they were firing at! Or did they...?

Off board mortars can fire without LOS.

Sitting Duck:

I remember reading somewhere on this board that there was some trick (bug?) to getting an on-board mortar to indirectly fire at a UNIT as opposed to indirect AREA FIRE.

As I recall it was something where indirect fire on a UNIT would not work (despite positive target line), unless some specific mouse clicking was done.

That's a new one on me.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

I had a platoon of mortars in woods. I placed the plattoh HQ in advance of the woods hidden in a building. I was able to setup a target line to some incoming infantry. The target line was black but it stuck. All troops were green.

The infantry were outside the LOS of the Platoon leader but were in LOS of other units elsewhere.

The mortars never fired.

Why?

------------------

Scott Adams

Not Dilbert, Adventure!

www.msadams.com

msadams@msadams.com

Originally posted by Scott Adams:

I had a platoon of mortars in woods. I placed the plattoh HQ in advance of the woods hidden in a building. I was able to setup a target line to some incoming infantry. The target line was black but it stuck. All troops were green.

The infantry were outside the LOS of the Platoon leader but were in LOS of other units elsewhere.

The mortars never fired.

Why?

IIRC, mortars cannot fire from woods, except possibly from the very edge. Dense tree canopy has a nasty effect on outgoing rounds.

I believe that scattered trees and tall pines are not a problem, however.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

IIRC, mortars cannot fire from woods, except possibly from the very edge.

I fire mortars from the middle of woods all the time, with no ill effect except on the target.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Scott Adams said:

The infantry were outside the LOS of the Platoon leader but were in LOS of other units elsewhere. The mortars never fired.

Why?

They didn't fire because the platoon leader dind't have an LOS to the target. To make on-map mortars fire indirectly like this, you have to set up a chain like this:

Target <--LOS--> HQ <--Command Radius--> Mortar

Be sure the HQ unit with the LOS is the one actually commanding the mortars. Sometimes if you have another HQ unit nearby, it will take command and if it doesn't have an LOS to the target, the mortars won't shoot.

The target line was black but it stuck

Yeah, this can be misleading at times--you have the target line for the mortars but they won't shoot if their HQ doesn't have an LOS. I think the purpose of having the target line stick in such cases is to allow you to move your HQ unit up into an LOS position during the turn and still have the mortars fire that turn, without having to wait until the next turn. Sorta like how you can give a tank a target line to something currently out of its LOS but also order it to move so it will soon get an LOS. If the HQ or tank gets an LOS quick enough, the weapons will fire at the desired target that turn.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 02-14-2001).]