Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Something I've been wondering about...

This may be a long shot and I'm probably exposing myself to eternal ridicule, but I'll venture it anyway.

Has anyone ever thought of setting up a strategic level battle, using CM to model the tactical engagements ?

I mean something like this :

A set of moderators design the interconnecting maps and decide on the forces facing each other. As the game unfolds they map the results of the battles to the strategic level, thus deciding when, where and with what forces new battles occur.

Each side would have a general, who doesn't actually do any fighting but must act upon the information he receives back from his field commanders. The generals then have a set of subordinates who fight the individual battles. Each field commander is attached to a specific force and is dependant on the general for deployment.

I think the main issue would be the speed with which the moderators would have to design scenarios. I have too little experience with scenario design to know whether this is at all feasible.

Any thoughts ?

Contact me offline, and I will send you the URL of a website I set up for our aborted brigade campaign - if it is ok with the other players. If it isn't, I can email you the set of rules (operational concept) that were written by a couple of other posters here. They are quite good.