SPR, gives me the chills!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Yeah you know, my grandfather was itching to spend six years in the Wehrmacht, subjugate Russians, Poles and French people. Sure.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Misunderstanding on your part. Frankly I dont know why Im doing this to my own personal reputation since I will get flamed for expressing my opinion, but whatever, freedom of speech makes the internet what it is.

I dont feel that the Germans did not suffer. Sure they did. The Eastern front was not enjoyed by anyone.

However, it can be argued that for your typical Russian it was much much MUCH worse then for your typical German. Not only did (more then likely) some of your relatives were shot during the purges of the 30's, now you have to go charge a machine gun!

The German soldier had training(try to train your army when the enemy is Blitzing into your town and there's only farmers with pitchforks to stop them), able Generals (all of the USSR's were executed by firing squad), the advantage of surprise, speed, and an actual strategic doctrine (thanks for not listening to those warnings, Mr. Joe).

Its not that I think the Germans unworthy, or worse yet, evil, it's the fact that I dont feel they deserve more sorrow then the ones who suffered more then even they could have imagined.

When that other guy (I forget your name, m8) expressed his sorrow for that "poor German squad", I thought "well what the hell do you feel about that Russian company charging blindly at them in a suicidal assault (which they could not dissert thanks to NKVD officers), about to get massacred?"

I respect the Germans as soldiers and I do know that they suffered, but in no way do I feel they are the ones to really cry about.

Thats just my view on things, respond if you like.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

I respect the Germans as soldiers and I do know that they suffered, but in no way do I feel they are the ones to really cry about.

Thats just my view on things, respond if you like.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Commissar - I take offense at you labeling my grandfather a Nazi and murderous with your 'Yeah, those poor murderous Nazis!' comment that was in the best terms of Soviet propaganda. Back home that Nazi remark is a major insult and murderous goes right up there. Do you have any evidence that he killed civilians? Or is killing in war murder now? I am sure some of the vets on this board would have interesting opinions on that. That kind of stereotyping does not show any respect to me.

He never was a Nazi and would be horrified to be called one just on account of his participation in the war. One of his daughters in law has a father who would qualify for the term, and at family events where we have to suffer him he more or less kicks him out when he talks politics, because he thinks that is revolting. If somebody called him a Nazi at home, I would press charges. For the record, he also never killed someone before or after donning the uniform.

As for the comment that there is no need to cry about them (as opposed to Soviet soldiers?), as I said - I think you are riding a fairly high moral horse. Remember you can fall off that quickly. I pity all the soldiers who had to go to war against their will and lost years of their lives, health and were forced to kill people they did not know to survive. This experience was so horrific to my grandfather that he refused to talk about it for 55 years. I don't think I am in a position to select which ones were the good ones and which one the bad ones.

Honestly, I know you feel fairly strongly about the Soviet participation in the war, and I believe that comment was made in the heat of the moment. Your second post indicates as much to me. I would hope that is the case.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.