Mortar fire question.

Ok, as we all know, when mortar shells land (from an on-board mortar), they fall in straight lines. Meaning, they are almost always pointed in the right direction, and if they miss, they go either in front or in back of the target, but not to the sides. Is this how they work in real life?

Just wondering.

Tanks,

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

as a scout calling for and observing fire for arty and mortars, both are capable of hitting anywhere. After the spotting round hits the FO calls to adjust fire in a bracket situation. i.e. first round hits long, or beyond the target. FO would adjust fire by saying something like, "Left 100m, drop 100m"; second round hits, FO adjusts fire, "Right 50m, Add 50m, Fire for effect." This would tell the arty/mortar to fire a full salvo at the target.

hope this helped a little.

Thanks Mattias, I'll buy that. It seems to make sense when I think about it. You have to deal with height, arc, and distance for one as opposed to just "point it in the right direction" for the other.

But that makes me wonder, does wind ever push the mortars around a lot? If so, wouldn't that cause some side to side variation? Or is variable wind not modeled in CM?

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.