Are these gunners working on a union contract?

I have one of those "how is it in real life?" questions.

I understand a squad of 12 (US) equals 12 men. Now, why does it take, say 6 people in a crew for a 50 cal.? I can see one guy shooting, and another guy helping to feed the ammunition. But what about the other 4? What do they do? It seems like an awful lot of people standing around, but what do I know. Is this a real world thing, or a CM abstraction? (the same question would aply to HMGs and LMGs)

Same question goes for HQ units, mortar units, etc. What 4 (or appropriate number of people) would this amount to in real life? Or is it an abstraction? What are each of their respective roles? Why do Company HQs get 6?

And finally, if indeed they are abstractions, why would this be done for some type of units and not for others?

Thanks in advance,

Murph

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Murph:

I can see one guy shooting, and another guy helping to feed the ammunition. But what about the other 4? What do they do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carry stuff. MGs go through an amazing amount of ammo, and that stuff weighs a ton. Once the MG is in position and the shooting starts, a couple guys were probably sent back to bring forward some more ammo. Then another pair, etc. Same thing for the mortars. This "conveyor belt" resupply is not modeled in CM.

Michael

OK I resent the union thing! smile.gif As a union man nobody messes with me on my coffee break. You think veteran units are tough well wait til ya mess with me if I don't get my coffee! smile.gif

That said. Dude. A ma deuce is a heavy motha. Over a hundred pounds with the tripod and all. Also with a basic load ya gots some serious weight kicking. Now OSHA has some clear rules about lifting a heavy weight! BTW I did know one guy who at the NTC hefted that bugger off the tripod to engage an aircraft. Dunno if he got it though. But we were very impressed. :D