Soviet Small Arms

You can also buy yourself "The Red Army Handbook." It's not exactly totally complete in my opinion and a little lacking in some areas but should give novices a good idea about Red Army equipment. It also happens to be a major resource book that BTS uses for CM2.

My understanding is that the PPS was generally considered a better weapon than the PPsH. It couldn't carry as much rounds as the drum mag PPsH '41 but supposedly the PPS was more effective and more reliable or something like that. I'll need to look it up again. Officers particularly liked the weapon since it was lighter than the PPsH.

The DP was supposedly a succesful design. Certainly not as good as the MG42 but then again how many MGs were? It did well for what it was designed to do although the 47 round mag seems pretty small for a LMG to me.

Later on, the carbine version of the Mosin-Nangant became more distributed towards the end of the war. Actually, what exactly is a carbine? Is it just basically a shorter barrel version of the rifle??

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Commissar ]

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Commissar ]

BTW could someone clarify the 'mistery' of the actual ARs production in prewar USSR?

I've read in "Soviet Infantry Tactics in WW2" by Charles Sharp that more than 1 million SVT-40s were manufactured in 1941, and most of them were distributed to southern fronts' troops. I've read here about larger numbers, where's the truth?

Regards,

Amedeo

Oops, I meant to say that Mosin was not the main rifle WHEN THE WAR BEGAN. April 1941 infantry squad TOE called for SVTs.

As for PPSh, soviet infantrymen thought that it was better than MP40. That was perhaps a biased opinion, but it is telling.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skipper:

Oops, I meant to say that Mosin was not the main rifle WHEN THE WAR BEGAN. April 1941 infantry squad TOE called for SVTs.

As for PPSh, soviet infantrymen thought that it was better than MP40. That was perhaps a biased opinion, but it is telling.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Germans thought the PPSh was better. The grass is always greener...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skipper:

As for PPSh, soviet infantrymen thought that it was better than MP40. That was perhaps a biased opinion, but it is telling.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The SVT was indeed issued standard, with the Nagant being phased out. The biggest problem is how many SVT were there. In 1968 Hogg thought a million, but in the 1980s Ezell discovered that factories claimed more than 6 million made of both the 38 and 40.